Should I fence, wall or posts/wire my boundary???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the bottom and corner of my garden were fence panels which some yobs kept kicking down. The side of my house is a public footpath and the bottom of the garden looks onto another street. At the moment it is open for anyone to walk through into my back garden - which yobs did and took my patio chairs into the other street!!!! My ex put up some posts and wire on one side (approx 6ft) but it is still open for viewing!!!

I have got an unreliable mate who says he will do the fence panels for me using large pallet wood butted together so it is strong. He is also supposed to be putting my large metal shed on very large concrete slabs in the bottom corner to help keep it private.

I have given up on that happening and as I seem to do alot of diy jobs myself I am thinking of doing something to fix the problem myself.

Not sure where to start though.

I am a single parent so need to know the better of the cheapest options, that I would be able to do myself.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Hayley

Sponsored Links
You could use concrete posts, and concrete gravel boards instead of wooden panels. They can be painted with masonry paint to blend in if you like. Both the posts and the boards are pretty heavy so you will need to be quite burly or have a strong assistant.

Or you could save up and have a brick or block wall built. It will need to have good concrete foundation and pref be 9" thick or the yobs will push it over.

Or you could have a simple wire mesh fence (pref with welded mesh not chainlink which is easy to cut) and grow some thick spiky shrubs inside.

thanks for that.

What do you suggest for my metal shed as a base???

Was going to level soil and put these large concrete slabs down, and then place shed on it. Would that be a good option?? Should I put a bit of sand down underneath the slabs??

(Already got the slabs - didnt cost me anything as someone was getting rid of them for nothing).

Concrete slabs sound OK. Try not to have them overlapping the base of the shed or they will collect rainwater. From the time you level the ground and place the slabs, they will start to settle, and become uneven.

Digging the soil will make settlement worse. Levelling it with sand or mortar under the slabs will be better.

Fix the shed down or a burglar will be able to lift it up or tip it over to steal your mower.

Sponsored Links
Actually thought that the slabs had to overlap the shed in order to bolt the shed to the slabs. I suppose the best way is to level ground, put layer of sand and then some cement and cement slabs down??

At the moment it is bolted onto a concrete area in my back garden, so assumed i would have to do the same but into the slabs.

Is there another way to bolt it down??

Hayley

I read your reply but it missed out a sentence!! which I happened to just say back to you, sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back