Should I Just DIY My Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm carrying out an extensive renovation on a 1930s 3 bed semi and need to move some windows on the rear wall. I'll be bricking up two windows and then installing another window inbetween.

Since I'm already applying for building approval, surely it would just be cheaper to add this onto the list of things to inspect than it would to get it professionally fitted? Or is it out of the question to DIY it?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
FMT I am considering DIYing my windows in the near future. I have some bay windows and have not been impressed with the way many replacement bays are sized on houses round my way. For example on the upstairs bay of friend's house a few doors away, the wall under the bay is 1/2 brick thick constructed of wooden frame and brick infill, but the bay is not sitting in the middle of the wall. when you inspect the installation from the inside, the UPVC frame protrudes into the room by 50mm in places. The origonal mega strong (they don't grow wood like that anymore) mullions used to sit bang over the centre of the 1/2 brick thick wall - but the flimsy metal replacements can be sitting on the edge. This cannot be right can it? It is as though when they measure them up, the surveyer errs too much on the small side, and the fitters just line the bay up to the old plaster line ignoring how the bay fits elswhere.

My friends windows are 20 year old Anglian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back