Should I line under a finish wallpaper?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to paper a room with lining paper prior to painting but my wife wants one wall to have "fancy" paper on it so no painting.

Should I line the wall with the fancy paper on it? The walls are in okay condition and I will sand down but woudl like to get a decent, flat finish on the wall and wonder if lining the wall wil help in hiding any blemishes i miss in sanding?

Sponsored Links
Normally I would only line if the wall is poor.

Mainly you want to avoid bumps and any little bits stuck to the wall because they stand out on the finished papering, very slight digs or minor hairline cracks don't show up too much as the paper stretches across them as it dries.

Walls that have differing patches of colour (some painted and some filled areas) may show through a very thin paper if it is a light colour.

Depends how expensive the paper is, if you can afford to hang one length just to see, it could save you a bit of work.

If you deem the walls that need paint poor enough to require lining paper I suggest you cross line the wall that needs the feature wallpaper.

Sponsored Links
Definitely cross-line the feature wall with lining paper. It'll take a couple of hours, but you'll enjoy the more professional look of it for several years at least. What's two hours work when it will look so much better?

Make sure it is cross lined though, not hung vertically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back