Should I put this in Disasters? - Advice please

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your comments, just to let you know that all my posts had been some distance from the source of the problem and had been told to me by my son.

Went down to visit, found the plumber moving the gas point out of the way behind an adjacent cupboard. Took the plaster off from behind the waste pipe and pushed it back.

THEN adjusted the cooker legs by about 50mm longer and pushed the cooker in no problem.

No need to change the design, it all fits.

Problem over!

These type of cookers often have a grill that screws to the top edge at the rear of the cooker that covers the said gap. This grill is supplied with the cooker and fitted when cooker installed. I am not suggesting your cooker came with the said grill, but to sell a cooker with no such grill will end up having a gap at the rear. To double check, measure front to rear dimention- it will be about 600mm. The cooker point is not ideal- the wall plate used is for a garden tap. One suggested by couple of guys is the correct component to fit. Obviously the socket should point downwards.

The hose might be tad short, but manner in which it will 'hang' is correct. At the rear of the cooker you will see some depressions- this is where I would locate the cooker point subject to no instructions in the manual (usually a drawing suggesting location found in every cooker I have fitted to date). WRT waste, might need raised above the line of copper pipes and strapped to all for tighter fit (the service gap rear of units will allow this)

Must say some daft ideas by some in this thread. I can only assume these are humorous not helpful posts. Would be interesting to see if the posters of these would find it funny if they were given such advice.

Have to agree B&Q can be P in A (pain in ass) when they design or advice. Come across such issues often. One only needs to loiter in the plumbing bay to see would be customers walking about in a daze or being advised by 'I am Mr wonderful B&Q Knowledgeable Person'. But then again, it is similar situation at few trade counters.

I wish OP good luck in getting the problem resolved

That back plate for the cooker should be 'side strapped' (is that what you meant macfudd?)

Sponsored Links
Went down to visit, found the plumber moving the gas point out of the way behind an adjacent cupboard.

Sounds dodgy to me, are you sure he's Gas Safe Registered and has a qualification to work on gas cookers (just being GSR doesn't give you an automatic right, you need to take an exam for each appliance you work on)? Check his registration number on the Gas Safe website if you have any doubts.

Generally the gas connection point should go behind the cooker in the location the cooker manufacturer specifies, and as has been said several times before on this thread the current fitting is not suitable and should be replaced with the correct type, in the correct location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back