Should I query bolier parts prices?

Sponsored Links
Go away. The part maybe available elsewhere, ie ebay etc, this doesn't take into account for someone fitting it and making sure you have heat/hw, also the part centre it was supplied from will be expensive, this is a cost to the installer too. What do you want?

Just had a new pump head installed in my Worcester Boiler. They did a perfectly good job but at just under 200 quid it's leaving a bit of a whole in my pocket. The pump is Worcester part number 87161135940. They are charging 83.10 but it seems to be available online starting at 55-65 quid. Should I query the parts price or is that not the 'done thing' to do?

Why do people say " Oh its Cheaper on EBay" , Buy it on Ebay and ask someone to fit it, (if they are prepared to do so)
when its found to be the wrong model or different fittings etc and one has to buy a replacement model from a reputable dealer one then realises its false economy.

Sponsored Links
You've seen that pump available for cheap, no VAT. Plus no labour charge. What's your point? £200 is a very good price. We don't work for free nor do we rip people off. Well at least not at my end. Sorry if come across rude btw.

The online price isn't what your engineer paid. Would you have waited possibly several days whilst your engineer scoured the internet for the best deal, then waited for delivery?

You've seen that pump available for cheap, no VAT. Plus no labour charge. What's your point? £200 is a very good price. We don't work for free nor do we rip people off. Well at least not at my end. Sorry if come across rude btw.

No, you don't come across as rude, unlike a couple of other people. That was my whole reason for asking the question here - so that I didn't put my foot in it and offend a perfectly good company. I do understand that labour is extra by the way.

The online price isn't what your engineer paid. Would you have waited possibly several days whilst your engineer scoured the internet for the best deal, then waited for delivery?

As you can see , I'm very new to the forum - am surprised at how aggression people can be.

You can query what you like. Only you need to do that with them.

Start by saying, you expect them to buy your parts on-line (as they're cheaper) then wait in all day for said part to arrive, at their expense, then pass you goods at cost price with no mark up. (They'll have to convince the tax man on that one).

Don't forget to remind them you expect no charges for diagnosing and transporting the right part to you as well as full aftersales responsibility (for supplying it).

Are you sure you're OK paying for labour or would you like that back too?

Rather than aggression perhaps it is the shear frustration from having to continually deal with people thinking that you are always out to get them.

Or wanting the job doing for peanuts.

Or googling everything and understanding nothing.

Buying parts from Ebay can get proper parts from spares dealers and often come within two days.

Then there are those selling parts stolen from their employers or just found lying around. They can be very cheap and often don't work!

I once bought a "new" pcb in a battered box for about £100 from an RGI. It turned out it did not work, caused my customer to have to wait longer and as he refused to give me a refund I had to open a case with Ebay to get the price refunded.

People expect us to get the part within a day and to fit it asap. That means they have to be bought over the counter from places like Parts Centre whose prices are about 30% higher than even the merchants on Ebay.

My friend runs a Mobile Phone Repair Shop, advert in window " Damaged Phone Screens replaced, free fitting Price £ xx "

Yes a customer came in with a screen they had purchased off EBay and asked if it could be fitted for free :eek:

Obviously thought it was an easy job to fit and decided the shop was making too much of a profit on the screens, then realised there was more to fitting it than they thought.
It ended up the wrong model screen anyway, :LOL:

Can you imagine how long it would take to que at tesco's if everyone queried the price of every item they had brought.
You obviously agreed to the price when you accepted to have the work done, you had the choice there and then wether or not to accept.
I fitted a water softner for a customer once it was £700 from the merchants, quoted £950 in total inc labour and fittings. Which they accepted, done the work and gave invoice. They then said they found it online for £500 and was only going to pay that for it! Which would mean I would have got £0 for doing the job, after a heated argument and showing them my supplier invoice and then threatening to rip it out and cap off their main, they soon paid up
:rolleyes:
The internet has a lot to answer for!

Another point you seem to be forgetting is that the company that done the work will have guaranteed it for 12 months so if developed a fault it wouldn't cost you any thing. If you supply your own parts you won't get that Guarantee,so if it goes wrong you have to pay for labour again to rectify it and quite right why should we guarantee parts not supplied by us.

I once diagnosed a faulty PCB on a boiler. Told them the new one was £120.

They said they could get one on the internet for £110. So I said fine.

Three days later it arrived and I went to fix it. When working they asked what guaranty I gave on the repair. Their face dropped when I said that as I had not supplied the part then I cannot give any guaranty on it!

So to save £10 they waited three days and had no guaranty on it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back