Should I query bolier parts prices?

You are probably entitled to ask how much the part will be for the engineer to supply it. Take into consideration that the engineer HAS to buy it from his/her supplier. His/her supplier will have their mark up for various reasons. Everyone has to make a living so even if you find the part online for a little cheaper it doesnt mean thats the price for everyone. The online store probably doesnt have overheads for a building, work van and traveling etc.

I am sure most would happily tell you how much the parts will cost and give you a price breakdown. Thats not an issue, i think expecting to "challenge" the price because you have found it a little cheaper is the wrong thing to do, particularly if youre expecting it to change the price they have charged.

In my line of work i get to see a massive variation in prices for parts. Some supplies want £150 for a certain PCB whereas others want £450. Its the exact same part, the only difference is the mark up.

If you dont mind me asking, what do you do for a living? lets say you work at the local pub and you charge £3 per pint, you might have a weatherspoons down the road that charges £1.95 for the same drink. Does that mean you should reduce your cost? or is it just down to the % profit you look to make. Its the same difference.

Although i do fully understand what you are asking, i think its just been seen in the wrong way.

Sponsored Links
I went into my local PlumbCentre and ask if they could match the price of a room stat from an online merchant. the answer was a big No.

Next day PlumbCentre delivered it for the online merchant :LOL: :LOL:

Doitall that is box selling and goes on quite alot with the internet

There are agreements in place and discounts for online suppliers with certain firms .They dont actually hold any stock whatsoever but operate a purely marketing and virtual online stores

Dumbcenter actually deliver boilers and other plumbing consumables as well for quite a few firms

I also experienced exactly the same situation over a price quoted by Plumb Centre and eventually it was supplied by online for 40% less and it was delivered 4 miles by the PC manager.

I hid inside when it was delivered as he would have recognised me. Now I am a little more blaze and would probably have taken it in from him and had a little laugh!

Sponsored Links
£200 to call out, examine and diagnose the problem,supply and install a replacement and give a years guarentee and you think you have been overcharged ? your engineer has charged a very reasonable fee, too reasonable in my opinion unless you are a regular customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back