Should I stay away ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working on a site today and talking to the Sparky there about what I was going to do at home etc etc like you do and he offered me a Brand new CU that he said was surplus to requirements for the job for an absolute steal of a price, especially considering he said he would throw in all but 2 of the MCB's I am going to need.

However and this is were I need yooz guys advice, I noticed that the internal Link cables ( two blue N and one brown L ) didn't have terminals pre-fitted on them. All the pictures I've seen of Split Load CU's show the cables with terminals on.

Do some of the cheaper CU's just have plain wire ends terminated into the Main and RCD or does it look like he's trying to pull a fast one ? The thing is, I have seen Split Load kits advertised for CU's with all the cabling etc and they aren't particularly expensive, so I could still probably save a small fortune by doing that.

The CU has a Wylex brand sticker on the back of it and it's a 12-way btw

I'm just concerned that I am gonna buy something that won't be useable. Is it worth risking it or would I be better off waiting forra while and buying a good make like MK or MEM ?

Thanks
Btw - he has only asked for £30 cash :eek: so you can see why I am interested. I am from Yorkshire after all ;)

Sponsored Links
Wylex S/L CUs have tri-rated internal links which have what appear to be bare ends, but the strands are infact somehow all stuck together, making a solid end.

I think it is probably done by passing a high current through the end of the cable or something

Sponsored Links
I know wylex are not the best CUs on the market, but I'd sooner have / install one over that horrid marbo thing that screwedfix sell.

<edit> pah! :LOL:

Read the write up on the Marbo (rebadged volex) cu, it'll be fine if you have a 60 or 80 amp service fuse, but no good if it's a 100 amp service fuse.

Read the write up on the Marbo (rebadged volex) cu, it'll be fine if you have a 60 or 80 amp service fuse, but no good if it's a 100 amp service fuse.

Hmmmm how can I tell what rating the service fuse is as it isn't marked with the rating on the connector cover ?

I know wylex are not the best CUs on the market, but I'd sooner have / install one over that horrid marbo thing that screwedfix sell.

Well, that's me sold on the "Don't buy Marbo" topic then. :LOL:

Well spotted.

Just shows what quality it is.

An 80A main switch is no use to man nor beast :rolleyes:

Didn't know anyone made boards with a 80A main switch these days!

60A RCD on a 6+6 way split though is far more common daft issue, even on decent makes (Yes, I'm looking at you, Hager...)

@OP, you don't want a marbro/volex 80A board :evil: :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back