swa cable connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two cu,s one mem 7+7 split load for house and another small cu for garage.swa 6mm cable is burried underground .I also bought two sets of glands.Both cu,s are plastic insulated.Sparky is going to instal main cu in few days time.In my last meating with him,he said glands can not be fitted on plastic cu.it has to be fitted on metal one.Or swa cable has to be fitted into separate metal box and then into cu.How is this done.MEM cu 2000 AD fitted on wall directly,will it have enough space behind to feed cables through such as 6mm swa or 10mm shower cable.Can,t they be fitted on some sort of wooden frame so they have enough space to feed cables from underneath in future.Sparky says they should be fitted on non combustable things.What are they.

Sponsored Links
Consumer units look ****e (IMO) on wooden boards. They are desgined to mount directly on walls these days.

The MEM CU's cover, when removed, leaves a skelaton of a CU onthe wall, with no where to gland an SWA into, so I agree, I metal clad CU would be better. However, 6mm could pass through a 20mm through box first.

Why do people always feel they have to by kit for sparks? Sparks do now best as to what is required, generally. You don't take tyres and oil to the garage when your car gets services.......actually, I bet some do.

Lectrician said:
Consumer units look s***te (IMO) on wooden boards. They are desgined to mount directly on walls these days.

The MEM CU's cover, when removed, leaves a skelaton of a CU onthe wall, with no where to gland an SWA into, so I agree, I metal clad CU would be better. However, 6mm could pass through a 20mm through box first.

Why do people always feel they have to by kit for sparks? Sparks do now best as to what is required, generally. You don't take tyres and oil to the garage when your car gets services.......actually, I bet some do.
The reason i bought swa cable and set of glands myself is sparky was unwilling to go into the crawling celler so under his instructions i have to lay cable myself to garage.He even said plastic CU is fine.Now i have bought plastic CU and how SWA cable can be connected to CU.What do you mean by saying,6mm cable could pass through a 20mm box first.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Sparky is talking out of his anus. Sack him.[/quote I wish i could sack him but it,s too late now.He is comming back for second fix soon so i shall see how is he going to connect swa cable to CU.

securespark said:
Sparky is talking out of his anus. Sack him.
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:56 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

securespark said:
Sparky is talking out of his anus. Sack him.[/quote I wish i could sack him but it,s too late now.He is comming back for second fix soon so i shall see how is he going to connect swa cable to CU.

he probablly means a 20mm through galanized conduit box, screw the gland into one end butt the other end up to the CU earth the armour and conduit box by the earth terminal in the conduit box.

saleem said:
sparky was unwilling to go into the crawling celler

It must be nice to pick and choose what parts of the job you do. I bet he doesn't do hot lofts or dirty sheds either!

Saleem,
As plugwash says ,your electrician will be terminating the SWA in a 20mm galvanized box with a screw on lid and butting it to your plastic C.U.
Depending on the quality of the plastic that the C.U is made,,or the weight/angle the SWA is terminated it can put strain on the C.U walls and weaken it so it is (in my opinion) best to use the galvanized box method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back