Shouldnt this tank have insulation on it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I think this is my hot water tank (immersion heater?). If so, shouldnt it have some insulation wrapped around it, or does it have some clever form of internal insulation?

Or... is it actually a cold water tank?

immersion.jpg

Thanks!
Tom.

Sponsored Links
What do you think the green foam is? about 1" Underneath that insulation will be a copper cylinder. A bit on the lid wouldn't go amiss though. The top section only contains cold water, but is insulated to stop it freezing. The bottom section holds the hot water.

Ahh, right thanks, from a distance the green/grey stuff looked solid like it was the shell of the tank.

Why does the tank have cold water at the top, does that supply the bathroom/outside taps or something?

Hi,
I think this is my hot water tank (immersion heater?). If so, shouldnt it have some insulation wrapped around it, or does it have some clever form of internal insulation?

Or... is it actually a cold water tank?

immersion.jpg

Thanks!
Tom.
This I believe is a direct combi cylinder for your hot water for your taps only. The blue stuff is the insulation so no need to have any jacket. The cylinder has integral, built-in cold water tank, it eliminates the need for a separate cold water storage tank in the loft. Hope this helps Rob

Sponsored Links
Why does the tank have cold water at the top

The general set up is shown below, but your unit has the feed tank (shown on the left) and the hot water cylinder in one unit. The tank provides an air break to keep the stored water separate from the main supply to prevent contamination, and will also keeps the hot water pressurised and running if cold water is used elsewhere in the house.

as well as putting a lid on it, you can improve the insulation by wrapping a red cylinder jacket round it. This will keep the hot water hot longer. The lower section needs to be insulated best, as it is the hot part. Before fitting the lid, remove the drowned spiders and birds from the top section.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210203

the round plastic cap of the immersion heater, with the white flex going into it, should be left exposed, poking through the insulation, to prevent it overheating. The rectangular box strapped to the cylinder is the thermostat to control the boiler, you can insulate over it.

You do not need to switch on the electric immersion heater as long as your gas boiler is working.

If you can't find a lid to fit, you might be able to buy a cheap plastic dustbin and use the new, very clean, lid of that, but measure it first.

insulate the exposed elbows in the pipe, these are often exposed and first to freeze.

as well as putting a lid on it,
:?: :?: :?: :?:
It's a copper fortic/combi cylinder. The silvery coloured bit at the top is not a ring of stainless steel, it's an aluminium lid. No spiders or birds to remove. Hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back