Show us yer tips!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read this forum alot for very useful advice (and sometimes not so useful -lol)

I'd like to know more tips of the trade. For example,

1. Whats the best way of soldering 'wet' joints. Youve filled the system and discovered a leak and drained it down. Do you just wait for it to dry before re-soldering or is there a trick.

2. Whats the best way to fix a tiny leak in lead pipe. I've heard that you can 'tap' it lightly with a hammer but is there anything else or other methods of sealing it??

Sponsored Links
dave0202 said:
1. Whats the best way of soldering 'wet' joints. Youve filled the system and discovered a leak and drained it down. Do you just wait for it to dry before re-soldering or is there a trick.

2. Whats the best way to fix a tiny leak in lead pipe. I've heard that you can 'tap' it lightly with a hammer but is there anything else or other methods of sealing it??

The best way to avoid resoldering wet joints is to solder them properly in the first place! Otherwise you have to completely drain the pipe first and this usually means cutting the pipe nearby to let the water drain out fully.

You are not allowed to repair leaking lead pipes but tapping with a hammer will usually seal a very small leak until such time as its repaired properly. Some are left like that for a long time! Lead is better replaced!

Who gives less useful tips?

Tony

dave0202 said:
I read this forum alot for very useful advice (and sometimes not so useful -lol)

I'd like to know more tips of the trade. For example,

No trick has to be dry

dave0202 said:

you can do that but its ill advised if you are not good at it

best to get rid of lead, apparently its poisonous just ask the romans

:)

Tap a matchstick in the hole,snap it off and tap the lead over.
The match will swell and fill the hole or better still just use a solid rubber washer and jubilee clip.
And don't forget to tap a pin in the lead a bit further away that will rust and blow out and you get another call out.
Or better still why not wipe a joint ?
I still have sticks of solder for the job and can remember wiping a joint 9 inches away from where i had frozen the pipe..them were the days ;)
Or as corgiman said...get rid

Sponsored Links
Tap a matchstick in the hole,snap it off and tap the lead over.
The match will swell and fill the hole or better still just use a solid rubber washer and jubilee clip.
And don't forget to tap a pin in the lead a bit further away that will rust and blow out and you get another call out.
Or better still why not wipe a joint ?
I still have sticks of solder for the job and can remember wiping a joint 9 inches away from where i had frozen the pipe..them were the days ;)
Or as corgiman said...get rid

GREAT IDEA but here is a more perminant trick.

Hole in the pipe Brass /copper or lead no problem take a BRASS SCREW or copper nail like the ones used in roofing cleaning the screw prior to plugging the hole flux the screw and clean the area around the hole and using the bar solder Solder the screw with a heavy bead and your in business for another 40 years

"best to get rid of lead, apparently its poisonous just ask the romans "

Not exactly, The water causes the inside of lead to oxidize giving it a protective layer BUT the Romans also used the lead goblets for wine and the acids in the grapes caused the lead posioning.

Sylvan, I realise that you may be desperate but have you noticed that you have replied to a posting 363 days old?

Tony

Sylvan, I realise that you may be desperate but have you noticed that you have replied to a posting 363 days old?

Tony

Hi Tony I really never bothered to look at the dates these are posted.. My mistake BUT to tell you the truth I pick a day or two and start going to the many of the sites "Sylvan Tieger " or Tieger Plumbing" I write for and just start answering questions.

I do however find the Brit site to be one of the most intreasting much more so then the Austrailian as this site does not give how to DIY information about gas fitting and rightfully so.

Again Tony thank you and I think it would be better if the mods would have possibly closed a post after several months so us old folks are not confused which seems to happen a lot to me lately.

By the way I would deem it an honor if you would join my Politically Incorrect Plumbers Discussion List (PIPDL) just sent me an E mail and I will pass it along to the moderator to sign you up. :oops: :oops:

The old postings are left in place so they can be searched for in case they are of any use to others later.

Of course many of them are of little or no use and it would tidy up the site if many of them were weeded after a year!

Tony

if your having trouble with a particular task poke your tongue out, always helps

Does anyone actually know what this american Gent is actually twaddling on about :confused:

I mean Im married to an american and Ive spent time there have american friends and familly and Im struggling :LOL:

and she is a newyorker ;)

Tony

364, but who's counting (its a leap year)

Does anyone actually know what this american Gent is actually twaddling on about :confused:

I mean Im married to an american and Ive spent time there have american friends and familly and Im struggling :LOL:

and she is a newyorker ;)

I am glad the Yank lady gave you permission to answer a post that originated over a year ago Glad to see another New yorker took pity on you mate.

See Tony how many folks answered this post besides me :)))))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back