Shower cable, different diameters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come across a shower cable that is 10mm from the consumer unit to the pull switch (approx 12ft) and then 6mm from the shower switch to the shower (approx 6ft). The shower is a 9.5kW electric.

It looks like the 10mm has been upgraded at some point but the 6mm left in place (presumably to avoid ripping out tiles).

Is it OK to run different diameters to and from the switch or will the 6mm definitely have to be changed too?

Sponsored Links
Hello.

In my opinion you should fit 10mm from the 45a DP switch to the shower unit to handle the 9.5kw load, depending on the installation method and length of run you may get away with using 6mm and a 40a breaker, but generally I fit 10mm all the way. It's better to be looking at it ,than for it 'situation may occur if you ever wanted to upgrade to a higher rated unit.

The different sized cables in your circuit should not be a problem so long as the rating of the current protective device is adequate. I would see it differently in other situations, but here the 'isolator' has been wired in 10mm, and depending on the rating of the shower to be fitted, the cable and circuit protection can be devised.( maybe the previous sparky didn't want the aggro of fitting two ten mm's in the pull chord !! )

Hope that this is of some help.

La, la la la De da La la tra-la la la la de de de dum!

Well, you did say "pull chord".....!!

securespark said:
La, la la la De da La la tra-la la la la de de de dum!

Well, you did say "pull chord".....!!

You really should get out more

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks sparky40.

securespark: don't know what to say really!

It's best to say nothing. Don't encourage him....

Mrs Secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back