Shower circuit confusion !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello again ,
some advice needed please ? Im currently studying towards my full scope domestic electrical installer qualification. My confusion starts with my shower circuit at home , i currently have a 9.5kw instantaneous shower fitted with 10mm cable back to a 32A MCB. Is this correct because through my calculations and with reference to BS:7671 it doesn't seem to add up ?
With reference to the BS:7671 OSG cable selection theory it points me towards:
9.5KW/230V=(lb)41.3A so in order for : ln>lb it would need to

be a 50A MCB?

I apologise if im being thick but if so could somebody set me straight , thanks for your time !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
hello again ,
some advice needed please ? Im currently studying towards my full scope domestic electrical installer qualification. My confusion starts with my shower circuit at home , i currently have a 9.5kw instantaneous shower fitted with 10mm cable back to a 32A MCB. Is this correct because through my calculations and with reference to BS:7671 it doesn't seem to add up ?

be a 50A MCB?

I apologise if im being thick but if so could somebody set me straight , thanks for your time !!!!!!

9500 W / 240V = 39.58 A

If you run it on 230V it will consume less power and take less current because the voltage is lower, the resistance remains the same.

If it's a new shower it might actually be rated at 230V, but an older one will be rated at 240V.

be a 50A MCB?

45 Amp should be enough if your consumer unit manufacturer makes it.

Sponsored Links
9500 W / 240V = 39.58 A

If you run it on 230V it will consume less power and take less current because the voltage is lower, the resistance remains the same.

9500/240 = 39.6A

9500/230 = 41.3A

How does that work then? It will pull a higher current at a lower voltage.

[9500/240 = 39.6A

9500/230 = 41.3A

BS7671 17th Edition uses 230v as the standard throughout.

Shower manufacturers in particular promote the headline figure of say 9.5kw shower @ 240 volts.
which equates to 8.7kw @230v

9500/240 = 39.6A

9500/230 = 41.3A

By what magic will the resistance of the heating element drop from 6.06Ω to 5.57Ω when the voltage reduces?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back