Shower Cubicle: plasterboard & tiling vs all in 1 enclos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an upstairs shower cubicle which was just tiled plasterboard. It started to leak, and having looked at it the first couple of feet of plasterboard is dropping apart.

So, given that there's quite a bit of work to do, I was wondering which would be cheaper and better:

1) get someone to replace plasterboard (and tank it - I've been reading these forums a lot), and re-tile and seal etc.
OR
2) get one of these all in 1 shower enclosures instead

Any opinions most welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use Moisture Resistant plasterboard in bathrooms.
In wet areas inside shower & around baths, tank it before tiling or use tile backer boards.
Use a good quality trade flexible adhesive and grout.
Use full size boards too.

Third option, use shower panels, waterproof panel floor to ceiling, only joint is at corners, easy clean, so the wife tells me.

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys but got to hijack this thread briefly to ask "what does 'tank it' mean"? :oops:
Tanking means to make waterproof, plasterboard can have a coating applied which prevents it wetting if water gets thru grout, tanking is also a term used when waterproofing render in damp areas , basements etc.

In a shower area instead of using plaster board you can use aquaboard it is very much like plasterboard but is not affeted by water so no need for tanking and is easy to work with. Tileing if easy on aquaboard. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back