Shower fan venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am going to be fitting a shower fan and was checking the venting route before i start. I have a run of about 6feet which leads out to the corner of the roof. I have a board running underneath which is asbestos which is held on via nail and is slotted in. I also have a piece of timber that is shown in the pic (ihave removed the end piece) basicaly what i would like to know is if i can cut a section out of the timber to accomodate a 100mm hole which would let me put a grill over and i can cut a 100mm hole in the end piece . Not sure if i am allowed to cut this part of the timber , i could also take the asbestos board out and replace with a grill, could anyone please advice on the best route. Thanks

Sponsored Links
i don't understand what you mean. are you planning to blow the steam into the roof space? you need a plastic duct vented to the outside

why can't you put a hole in the soffit next to the bathroom, without going through or round that roof timber (and you can't make a big hole in it)

No i am not planning to blow steam into the roof space , the sofit is asbestos and i wanted to go out of the gap with the ducting were the timber is . I can take the bottom sofit of which is asbestos just wanted some advice as this is the only area were i can route . I tried to make it as clear as i could by taking a picture.

Am I right in thinking that you want to cut the timber in your bottom pic that is on a diagonal.

This looks like its part of the roof, and the end of it (on left) is holding up your fascia. I think that your question might be better in the roofing/building section.

If the route for your fan ducting is problematic, it can be run vertically, discharging through a hole in a roof tile, sealed with a lead slate. Maybe far easier

Sponsored Links
I can go via the asbestos sofit board by removing it and replacing with the duct and grill, the other option would have been to remove a section of the timber and run the end of the ducting through it was not sure if i could cut the timber . The run of the ducting to my pic is only 6 feet and it can run down a slope which would be ideal for me. I did not want to disturb the asbestos sofit boards if i can help it.

I would always go through the asbestos soffit, as it isn't carrying any structural load. Cut a hole, or remove a section of the asbestos. Another benefit of doing this is that the vent is under the eaves, so the weather won't get into it.

This type of asbestos isn't the really nasty stuff, but even so, I don't need to remind you to wear a mask do I?

This type of asbestos isn't the really nasty stuff, but even so, I don't need to remind you to wear a mask do I?

Not having a dig mate, but how do you tell between the different types? I've been told about shining a light on it and seeing if it sparkles? But is the harsher types used in different places?? Cheers

I used to work for EARL a asbestos removal company , so i do no how to handle the stuff, i have taken the full section out in one piece and replaced it. It was only 245mmx115,i now have the grill and ducting in place. My inital post was if i could cut through a piece of timber as i was not sure if it would be classed a structual, dealing with the asbestos sofit piece was going to be the last resort. Done the hard bit now just got the wiring to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back