shower has only hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im a newbie and this is my first posting so be gentle.
I have had an electric shower for couple of years and have noticed that when the weather gets warmer I have a problem with the water being really hot and no matter what you do, it never runs cold water, only hot. does anyone have any idea how to solve this [problem. ? The water pressure isnt fantastic either

Sponsored Links
the pipe comes from the tank my hubby said but the cold water pipe comes from the loft to the immersion heater and through to the shower if this explains anything better. Hubby did not install it though

Sometimes thoroughly cleaning the shower heaad can help. Electric showers heat the water at a fixed rate, then adjust the water flow for temperature regulation.

Limescale in the shower head can restrict the maximum flow, so the trickle that does get through is overheated.

Check any stopcocks or service valves on the supply are fully opened, and there's no twists in the handset hose.

In the summer, the water supply is a bit warmer, so needs less heating, and mains water pressure will drop a bit with demands from agriculture and people watering gardens, filling paddling pools etc. etc. incresing demand on the system. The pressure probably goes back up again as demand falls off during the night, but that's not much good unless you want to get up at 3AM to have a shower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying ....will try what you said (or get hubby to) and reply back if it worked or not.
Once again thankyou for your help

its a Triton but dont know what model it was....it was a cheapo one from homebase a few years ago....

the cold water pipe comes from the loft to the immersion heater and through to the shower if this explains anything better.

It sounds like the shower is fed from the cold water cistern in the attic. Electric showers are normally plumbed into the mains. If yours is fed from the tank it could explain both problems you're having with it, so needs checking out.

the cold water pipe comes from the loft to the immersion heater and through to the shower

so this tells me its not plumbed into a mains water feed.

It looks like it isnt plumbed into the mains,
A plumber installed the shower who supposedly came recommended !!!
So do we have to get it plumbed into the mains ?

You could get it plumbed into the mains, or you could fit a single impeller pump. Either way the water pressure needs increasing.

The mains would be the better option, and probably cheaper too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back