Shower not getting hot enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have recently fitted a new mixer shower from the bath store which i have to put on to full hot to get a warm shower. I used to have a cheap wickes mixer which was really hot and powerfull.

The new one has a larger shower head suitable for my boiler (remeha avanta plus)

Even if I put the cold on slightly it is not warm at all. I have tested the taps. Warm seems to flow less than cold. I can also hold my hand under the hot. While its hot, I can leave my hand under it.

Any ideas?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Plumbed in backwards (hot to cold etc.)
Thermostatic cartridge seized
Temperature knob not fitted correctly

Is there a way to test an of theses? It's definetly connected up ok. As when you turn to hot it gets warm

I thought it might be the shower head as its one of them big square ones but is rated for my type of boiler...

Mixer link below

http://www.bathstore.com/products/blade-vertical-thermostatic-shower-bath-valve-1357.html

http://www.bathstore.com/files/KERRIDGE/20007013170/INSTALL.pdf

The boiler is set at 65degrees For hot water and I'd say the shower felt colder. Could the thermostat be set wrong? As per the operation section of the PDF, I have to have the temp controll full to have a shower

If you can put your hand under a normal hot tap.
The boiler is at fault and is not delivering hot water.

Sponsored Links

Might be my leather hands. The wife can't. Although its not red hot it would prob be too hot to shower in if that makes sense?

Might be my leather hands. The wife can't. Although its not red hot it would prob be too hot to shower in if that makes sense?

If it is a thermostatic shower and you are sure it is getting hot water.
The usually answer when it is lukewarm is that the shower is plumbed in back to front. Hot to cold and cold to hot. Or the thermostat is faulty.

If it is a thermostatic shower and you are sure it is getting hot water.
The usually answer when it is lukewarm is that the shower is plumbed in back to front. Hot to cold and cold to hot. Or the thermostat is faulty.

I'm 100% sure it's then right way. When I turn to cold it's freezing. When I turn to hot it's warm. That would make me thinks it's plumbed right!?

If it's plumbed in right the only thing is the boiler not delivering hot water at a rate that can supply the shower.
Is the water hot enough if you put it to a slow flow on the show.
If so possible partially block plate heat exchanger.

You need to measure the flow and temperature of the water the boiler
is giving you and compare to the performance figures in the boiler manual
to see it is ok.

Usually a combi gives around about a 35 degree rise in hot water temperature for about 10 litres of water a minute.

Does it give info in the installation instructions on setting the temperature of the valve?

Does it give info in the installation instructions on setting the temperature of the valve?

Yes it does in the PDF In my earlier post. It's set at 45 out of the box though I have not checked

Both hot and cold do around 6ltr a minute - just checked (1ltr in ten sec) the hot gets hotter with reduced flow on the kitchen tap next to the boiler. But I know the tap is on them thin reducer pipes as its a mixer tap water saving

Yes it does in the PDF In my earlier post. It's set at 45 out of the box though I have not checked

I would try this 1st rather than assuming it has been set correctly out of the factory, which I doubt will be the case, especially from the bath store

I would try this 1st rather than assuming it has been set correctly out of the factory, which I doubt will be the case, especially from the bath store

Ok thanks. I'll go do that now.

Usually the simplest solution works. I adjusted the max temp and it now gets hotter. Thanks for your help guys.

On a side note are the large square drench type heads rated? I find the pressure is less compared to normal shower. Less invigorating. Is that a trade off?

if it was ok with the previous shower, this big new head you have, is allowing the water to whizz throught the boiler too quick.

bathstore may say its ok for your type of boiler (combi) but is it ok for the kw output of your boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back