Shower overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had such great help with my own problem, I promised my father-in-law I'd post his problem as well...

He has an Opal shower, probably getting on to 2 years old. Very recently water has started coming out of the overflow tube. I had a look and it comes out as soon as the shower is turned on, even before the water has had the chance to go through the boiler and come out of the shower head.

I think it is still safe to use for now, just annoying (unless someone knows different?).

:?: Anyway, I'm guessing something inside the shower needs replacing. Would anyone have a good idea, from my description, of what to check and how to check it?

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
Probably a pressure relief thing. When an electric shower is turned off quickly it overheats the water inside. It expands and goes down that tube. Once used it'll always dribble. You could renew the part but it would probably not last, and if it's working ok, leave it.

Thanks Chris. Possible, but this is more than a dribble, it's a flow!

OK, I tracked down the following from tritonshowers.co.uk (you are right, Chris!):
* If water is leaking from a clear plastic tube at the bottom of the unit, then the Pressure Relief Device (PRD) has been activated.

I'll order the relevant part and all should be fine... :)

Sponsored Links
OK, but it did the same with the hose off.
:?: Unless, once activated the PRD stays activated?

I'll get them to make sure the hose & head is cleaned.

:?: Can anything else cause excess back pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back