Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We think there's a blockage between the cold water feed tank and the shower. We've hot water coming through, very little cold, but the flow is coming through in pulses. We've tried running all the water off to make sure it's not an air lock, we've cleaned all the sludge out of the tanks, we don't know what to try next. It's a new shower, because last time this happened the shower thermostat packed in.
If it is a blockage, how do we move it, if not what else could it be?

Sponsored Links
Hi Kahlan,
Without seeing the layout of your system it is difficult to give guidance.
I suppose if there is sludge in the tank then it may also be in the pipe to the shower. I would consider replacing the pipe work, but before that I would look to see if I could dismantle at the shower end in order to have an open outlet so I could attach a hose and allow water from the tank to flush the pipes. Also with tank empty I might try a flexible curtain wire which may disturb some sludge. I would also consider attaching a hose and applying some pressure from mains supply back up to the empty tank.This of course would need special care or you may finish up with a fountain in your attic.
If sludge is the cause it may well be at the shower end , having nowhere to go it will have built up.
I can't see how you can have an air lock unless your pipes form a inverted 'U' shape.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unscrew thew shower head (whole handset)to see if the blockage is in the head. Could be a filter in there.

My bet's the hose thuogh.. If they get twisted inside you get pulses. Remove hose and retry - might make a mess!

Could also be a faulty thermostatic cartridge, even a new one.

Hi
Thanks for the advice, I suggested the hose to my hubby maybe now he'll believe me. The curtain wire is a great idea, I couldn't think of anything long enough, but I'll give it a try. We've tried taking the shower head off, but you can tell the flow from the pipe is not fast enough. If none of these suggestions work, it'll have to be the thermostat, but it's under guarantee, so that's not too bad. Thanks again, I can see it's another soaking wet weekend for us again! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Before you take it back it could be a blocked INLET filter. This only a suggestion don't know a great deal about faults with showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back