shower pull cord

What do you mean, which is the truth?

I fixed the switch so it was stuck in the ON position.

Confused.

Gman76

Sponsored Links
gman76 said:
are you insane?
If, by that, you mean "am I capable of describing something unambiguously, and of knowing when to meddle with a switch and when to replace it, and of knowing when it's appropriate to joke about electrical safety", then yes - I'm barking mad. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sorry Softus, but your last post confused me a little, all I did was make the shower switch good for as long as took for the landlord to replace it,
all is sorted now.

gman76 said:
Sorry Softus, but your last post confused me a little, all I did was make the shower switch good for as long as took for the landlord to replace it
Er, no you didn't. The only 'good' action would have been one of:

1. Do nothing;
2. Isolate the circuit and leave it that way;
3. Replace the faulty switch.

Note - 'disassemble switch' is not a safe option.

Oh come on, are you suggesting that I do nothing until it's fixed?

Sod that. I need to shower mate, I'm sure you'll agree.

gman76 said:
Oh come on, are you suggesting that I do nothing until it's fixed?
Since my suggestions included replacing the switch, you continue to surprise me with your inability to either read or write.

I need to shower mate, I'm sure you'll agree.
Hygiene over fire safety? Yeah, of course - since I'm insane I'm bound to agree. :rolleyes:

Yes, and if you'd read my posts, you'd realise that the work has already been done.

I don't want a fight with you Softus, the idea of this forum is not to create friction I guess!

gman76 said:
Yes, and if you'd read my posts, you'd realise that the work has already been done.
It makes no difference to the fact that you did something that was unsafe, nor to my warning to other readers.

I don't want a fight with you Softus, the idea of this forum is not to create friction I guess!
Let's not forget that you first addressed a post to me, not the other way around.

Since the work had been done before you posted, if you'd said nothing about it then none of this exchange would have been necessary. And necessary it was.

Firstly, Softus, please accept my apologies, I wasn't attempting to be rude or start an argument.

Which part of changing a switch contact from the off position to the on position would be risky?

Surely the current drawn through the contacts would be the same as when the switch was operating normally?

gman76 said:
Firstly, Softus, please accept my apologies, I wasn't attempting to be rude or start an argument.
I'm quite happy to accept them, but I assure you that they really aren't necessary. I thank you anyway.

Which part of changing a switch contact from the off position to the on position would be risky?
It thought you'd said that it was faulty, and you took it apart, and that "jammed" it in position.

Surely the current drawn through the contacts would be the same as when the switch was operating normally?
It depends on how you jammed it. For example, if the thing or method you used was affected by heat, and allowed the contacts to begin to separate, then the contacts could overheat, and overheating is the start of most electrical disaster stories.

As soon as I found the switch to be stuck in the off position, I removed it from the ceiling plate (after isolating it) loosened the screws that secure the black part from the white face plate and pulled the cord which appeared to switch it, so I reconnected it & it was then "on".

So hopefully it was safe!

Perhaps "jammed" was the wrong expression, as I didn't add anything to it - like a nail in a fuse holder!

Crafty said:
You on the blob softus? :LOL:
I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but could you enlighten me as to the meaning of your question?

gman76 said:
So hopefully it was safe!
I now can't why it wouldn't be.

Perhaps "jammed" was the wrong expression, as I didn't add anything to it - like a nail in a fuse holder!
I'm in no doubt that "jammed" doesn't describe what you did. All's well that ends well, I s'pose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back