Shower Pump and JacuzziPump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Where is it advised to wire a shower pump and a jacuzzi pump in to, the ring mains, or should they be on their own dedicated circuit?

The shower pump lives in the loft so I only have access to the upper light wiring or the immersion heater wiring

Sponsored Links
you do not want it on the immersion circuit.
Other than that it would depend on the load required by pump, combined with the lighting load and whether the demand is lower than that of the protective device serving the circuit, diversity can be used to determined this.

Just for future reference, why wouldn't you stick it on the immersion heater wiring, is it cause of the MCB rating is way to high and dangerous?

So it is acceptable to use a lighting circuit then?
The lighting circuit is on a 6A MCB, running totals of 14 LED spots (5.5w each so I guess thats 0.32A) and 4 energy bulbs at 8W each (so 0.13A)

So should have 5.55A left on that circuit

The pump is rated at 1.8A

Sponsored Links
So it is acceptable to use a lighting circuit then?
it is not unacceptable.
The lighting circuit is on a 6A MCB, running totals of 14 LED spots (5.5w each so I guess thats 0.32A) and 4 energy bulbs at 8W each (so 0.13A)

So should have 5.55A left on that circuit

The pump is rated at 1.8A
You have about 5.5A left on full load, so the addition of 1.8A should cause no issue with regards to overload.

What about the jacuzzi pump (which is on the upper floor), just tap in to the ring mains with a fused spur under the floor boards (or does a fused spur need to be above floor boards)

The manufacturers instruction should direct you to what is required, but a fused connection unit would be required, I also suggest it may also be wise to have the shower pump on a 3A fcu as well.

There are regulations concerning permitted safe routing of cable and RCD protection of buried cables, also accessibility of any joints made into circuits.

What about the jacuzzi pump (which is on the upper floor), just tap in to the ring mains with a fused spur under the floor boards (or does a fused spur need to be above floor boards)

The FCU must be accessible. Are you going to rip up the floor/carpet if the fuse goes? :eek:

Also, I would expect that the jaccussi and the shower pump will have to be RCD protected. Thius can be in teh consumer unit or somewhere nearer teh devices.

They are dedicated circuits for immersion heating only.
No they're not.

They are (normally) 15A or 16A circuits to which only a 13A immersion is connected.

Dedicated does not mean 'sole', 'individual' or 'separate'.
So are you saying that is okay to put a water boosting pump on to the immersion heating circuit or just being pedantic over terminology?

Of course it's alright. Why would it not be?
Especially as the pumps usually go in the airing cupboard.

16A circuit - 13A immersion, 1.8A pump.
What's the concern?

Lighting circuits, Socket circuits, Immersion circuits etc. are the result of mislabelling the consumer unit.
They're all electrical circuits, aren't they?

I was of the understanding that heating elements of stored water in excess of 15l, should be on it's own separate circuit.

Is not a regulation in BS7671.

It's a recommendation from the "Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations". IMO its a 16 or 20amp radial circuit. As EFLI says 16amp circuit, 14.8amp load = happy days.

What is of concern is
but my immersion heater is on a 32A MCB
Is this the circuit that is labelled "Immersion Heater"? If it is a single 2.5mm cable from the consumer unit then that is wrtong. The MCB should be max 20amp.

Its definitely labelled Immersion heater, and Ive traced it through to the immersion heater, but its definitely not 2.5mm cable, its more like cooker wire size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back