shower pump - Can I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Have salamander ct50+ shower pump.
Like many other teenagers, mine stay in the shower untill the hot water runs out, or I boot the door open and drag them out.
I was thinking of introducing a time lag switch to the pump mains supply, that will need to be pressed before getting into the shower (obviously the switch will be located outside the bathroom)
Once the time has ran out, the pump will stop, reducing the water flow to a trickle :)
Question - is stopping the pump in this way likly to cause damage to the flow switches or the pump itself. I cant see how it would, but I would welcome any comments.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Question - is stopping the pump in this way likly to cause damage to the flow switches or the pump itself. I cant see how it would, but I would welcome any comments.
Cheers

If you suddenly stop the pump with the shower operational, the water temp will rise dramatically. The shower should prevent scalding but you are planning a really nasty surprise for your kids.....
Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply. Its a twin impeller pump so both hot and cold will stop flowing at the same time, therefore I would have thought the temp would stay roughly the same and as you say, the shower has a temp control built in. Besides that, the kids are hers, not mine so no need for me to worry on that score :)

Cheers

If you suddenly stop the pump with the shower operational, the water temp will rise dramatically. The shower should prevent scalding but you are planning a really nasty surprise for your kids.....
Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply. Its a twin impeller pump so both hot and cold will stop flowing at the same time, therefore I would have thought the temp would stay roughly the same and as you say, the shower has a temp control built in. Besides that, the kids are hers, not mine so no need for me to worry on that score :)
Sorry, I mistakenly assumed an electric shower but deleted the reply too late :(

You can do what you wish but its a lot of work rewiring the pump starter switch via a timer.

Sponsored Links
It would not harm the pump to do what you want but as said it will be a lot of work.

It would involve rewiring inside the pump which would certainly invalidate any warranty from Salamander.

Do you need any more information?

Having said that -

I suppose you could just time the mains supply without interfering with the pump interior.

Timer-operated motorised valve in the hot supply. The message becomes "Stay as long as you like in the shower, but only the first 15 minutes will be hot."

Having said that - I suppose you could just time the mains supply without interfering with the pump interior.
Quite. In fact that appears to be what was proposed in the OP :)
I was thinking of introducing a time lag switch to the pump mains supply...
I'm a little intrigued to know what it was that you were thinking he might be contemplating doing inside the pump?

Kind Regards, John

I fitted a power shower in my mothers house. This was feed from an RCD which also feed the garage and it was tripped for a month without my mother noticing it had tripped.

With pump running could wash ceiling without pump would not go that high but still OK for normal shower.

After new central heating was fitted had to get plumbers back to remove the power shower and replace with simple thermostatic valve type as power shower became illegal as sucking water from mains not tank. Found running direct from the boiler the shower was in the main better. The only draw back is the boiler has a reserve of hot water so shower starts cold until water run through pipes then goes hot and then has a second cold bit as direct takes over from stored water.

So in real terms turning off pump is not likely to do what you want although will not likely harm the system.

A motorised valve to control is hot or cold water is feed to hot inlet on pump would do better job but if I was the lad I would ensure it triggered while you were in the shower.

Eric

Whilst that might be the case in your mothers house, in mine, we have a 2bar twin impeller, that when it's running gives an acceptable shower, without it, you're better off standing out in the rain.

I guess it all depends on the OP's water pressure as to how successful this technique will be

I'm a little intrigued to know what it was that you were thinking he might be contemplating doing inside the pump?
I was thinking (although not enough) that the flow-switches wiring would have to be interrupted - but, of course, it doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back