Shower Pump Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently installed a single impeller Watermill PR50s which I bought on ebay. I have fitted the pump myself using polyplumb pipes and connections.

The pump works fine for about 2 minutes, then splutters and cuts out. It'll keep spluttering and starting and stopping until I switch the tap off. If I then leave it for a few minutes it will start up properly and then start doing it again.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to plumbing, so any help would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
whats it on hot/cold tap ?
hows it piped up ?
is it new ?

need more info

The pump was described as new on ebay, and to be honest it didn't even look like it had been out of the box, but it does say Watermill on the front, and I know they changed to Grundfos in 2008.

I have a supply head of about 5/6 meters. I have used the existing 22mm copper pipe work, then at the point where it used to connect to the taps, I have diverted it to the bottom of the bath using plastic pipes, and connected the shower pump, then back up into the mixer taps.

I haven't fitted a surrey flange because I don't believe my setup would support one.

I have done a quick drawing to give you a better idea.

Forgot to mention, I don't have a cold water storage tank, it's fed directly from the mains.

Forgot to mention, I don't have a cold water storage tank, it's fed directly from the mains.
:eek:

you can't pump the mains

you will get your rear end slapped by the water co

and will prob pagger the pump :idea:

Sponsored Links
:eek:

you can't pump the mains

you will get your rear end slapped by the water co

and will prob pagger the pump :idea:

I haven't pumped the mains, i have a single impeller on the hot. Mains has enough pressure as it is.

I believe the mains feeds the cylinder. It comes into my property through the floor, goes to a stop cock, and then T's off into the cylinder and to the rest of the flat.

I've had a plumber in for unrelated things and he said I have a strange system. Also when the water company fitted my water meter, they said I had a strange system.

I haven't pumped the mains, i have a single impeller on the hot. Mains has enough pressure as it is.

I believe the mains feeds the cylinder

so your pumping the main :idea:

I supose, in a sense, but not directly.

My tank is split in 2. The top half where the mains go in is controlled by a simillar device that controls the toilet, so it only trickles in when the water gets below a certain level. It then drops down into the hot cylinder, goes out to the bathroom, and thats what I'm pumping.

fortic.jpg

if you have one of these its emptying the tank and drawing air ;)

your problem is you have not got enough stored water to keep pace with the pump

not a lot you can do ex run the hot slower

which defeats the object of the exercise :cry:

not a lot you can do ex run the hot slower

which defeats the object of the exercise :cry:

And the moral of the story is.... Do some research before spending hundreds of pounds!!!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Well we better tell everyone who has a power shower normally run from the cylinder hot water wise to buy a big cylinder :rolleyes: or a slower pump. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back