Shower pump operation - shut-off after a second

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Pls be gentle with me - a newbie here but a keen DIY'er and hope to share my passion with similar minded enthusiasts.

I used other forums quite a lot (bikes, cars, PSP, etc) but never thought there would be one about DIY - duh. If anything can be more conductive to forum discussion, this would certainly be one.

Anyway I hope to tap in on all your expertise out there. My problem is as f'llow:

My shower pump (3 bars for 2 showers with dual hot & cold from the water pipes - not the electrically heat as you use type) has recently (last month) developed a very strange problem. It works fine when the shower is first switched on, but would stop working after a second or two. Switching the water off and then on again would get it to work for a second or less and then stop. Water still flows although there is virtually no pressure (noticeable when you sit down v standing up). Taking a shower is taking a painfully long time these days.

Can anyone shed any light on to what is causing this. As I said, I am reasonably comfortable and a DIY enthusiast so would not have any problem dis-connecting/cleaning/replacing the pump but before I resigned to this would like to see whether this is correctable. After all, it still works fine apart from this.

PS. the water temperature is fine as you would expect, so the thermostat is still working I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

HQ :(

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would check is the flow switch.

Can you reveal the make/model of the pump?

Hi Softus

The pump is a Moonsoon 3bar Twin model.

Where can I locate the flow-switch and what shold I be looking for?

Thanks
HQ

Sponsored Links
Hi ya all

Well, tried the magnet thing with the flow-switch - there is no reaction at all with the pump although the pump did work for a minute or two on first switch on this time.

I suspect the filter is probably OK as the watre flows fine when switched on. Any other suggestions?

HQ

They usually start up if you go near them with a strong (pick up tool) magnet. If not, as it says:
The pump should instantaneously start at some point during this
extent of movement. If this does not happen, this indicates a possible fault with the
reed switch or the P.C.B which is located within the terminal box. These should be
checked electrically. Consult Stuart Turner for further instructions.

So, finally solved.

Following ChrisR's advice, I called up Stuart Turner for some help. They were brilliant with helping to diagnose the problems and suggested that I go back and electrically trigger the pump (by connecting the 2x S1 terminals together ( or 2x S2, etc) = equivalent to using the magnet but much more certain). This confirms that the PCB is faulty.

A quick call the next day to order the new PCB which promptly arrived the following day (today) and I have just finished installing it (not at all difficult if you are confident with electrics), testing it and had a great shower too to boot.

What a satisfying way to resolve a DIY dilema.

Just to add the comment that the guys at Stuart Turner is absolutely brilliant - very helpful and service-oriented. The kind of people we DIYer's could definitely do more of. Well done ot them.

Right, onto the next challenge.

HQ :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back