Shower replacement dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house, seems to be combi boiler (Worcester 35cdi II) with a flow rate of 12l/min.

Cold water pressure is fairly reasonable at kitchen tap and bathroom.

Shower in en-suite is a Trevi mixer affair that sticks out about 8 inches from the wall and the pressure is well below acceptable.

I want to rip it out and have a great shower, was thinking about a shower/steam cabinet but not sure, what can I do ? I dont mind fitting a good electric pumped job but I would like a steam cabinet.

Help !

Cheers

Bob

Sponsored Links
12 litres a minute is good enough for a good shower, if theres no problem with the pipework or mixer, but if you want something that will feed a steam cabinet with all kinds of body jets and stuff then you will need to spend loads of money. Either putting storage tank and big hot water cyl. and pump in, or getting unvented cylinder fitted, maybe upsizing the incoming main etc. A combi on it's own just wouldn't be up to it, but you coud use it to heat an unvented cylinder.

sooey said:
12 litres a minute is good enough for a good shower, if theres no problem with the pipework or mixer, but if you want something that will feed a steam cabinet with all kinds of body jets and stuff then you will need to spend loads of money. Either putting storage tank and big hot water cyl. and pump in, or getting unvented cylinder fitted, maybe upsizing the incoming main etc. A combi on it's own just wouldn't be up to it, but you coud use it to heat an unvented cylinder.

Thanks for the reply but the flow on my current shower is very poor, its only a couple of years old and looks like a thermo mixer. In my last house, I had a trevi thermo mixer using stored hot water and the pressure was amazing, the one I currently have is poor.

If you say 12l/min should be good enough, what do I need to do to improve the pressure from the shower head ?

For a start undo the flexible shower hose from the mixer and see what comes out of there into a bucket. It's possible that the hose is kinked internally and restricting the flow, other that that it could be a blockage in pipework or a faulty mixer, what's the flow like at the bath hot tap?

Sponsored Links
sooey said:
For a start undo the flexible shower hose from the mixer and see what comes out of there into a bucket. It's possible that the hose is kinked internally and restricting the flow, other that that it could be a blockage in pipework or a faulty mixer, what's the flow like at the bath hot tap?
Hi

I've changed the pipe as it was damaged so its not that. The flow from the bath hot tap is pretty poor. I also have a mixer tap with a showe attachment on the bath and its pretty poor as well. Seems that the flow from the combi is just crap and I should maybe go for a decent pump assisted electric.

Whats the flow like on the cold tap at the bath and basin and kitchen sink ? If you're getting 12l per min and I doubt you are then you will get a good shower from a mixer.

If I were you i'd tackle the flow problem and see what you think then.

wanleg said:
Whats the flow like on the cold tap at the bath and basin and kitchen sink ? If you're getting 12l per min and I doubt you are then you will get a good shower from a mixer.

If I were you i'd tackle the flow problem and see what you think then.
The 12l/min figure comes from the boiler. The cold water in the taps is actually ok, the hot in any tap is pretty poor.

I think my best bet is a high power electric

Shower in en-suite is a Trevi mixer affair that sticks out about 8 inches from the wall and the pressure is well below acceptable
Bin it.

want to rip it out and have a great shower,

Hooray!

Fit a marvellous electric shower, up to you, don`t need pumps etc, Enjoy. ;)

Are you saying the 12l min is from the boiler spec and not its actual performance?
Measure a the flow from your kitchen sink with a litre container and work out what the flow is per min.
The boiler will onkly kick out what it is fed.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back