Shower Runs Hot and Cold....

Apologies, just done it again, with WD-40 and grips and without my wife(!) and the water does not run when it's isolated on the boiler, I obviously hadn't turned it enough from fear of breaking it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
So, can you measure the flowrate from the problem shower head, then, change to the rain head and reduce the flowrate to give the same flowrate, does it then run hot/cold?.

So, can you measure the flowrate from the problem shower head, then, change to the rain head and reduce the flowrate to give the same flowrate, does it then run hot/cold?.
Will try that shortly, house is a bit mental at the minute, the teenagers have returned.

So, I'll do the bucket test I did yesterday then adjust the rainfall shower to match the other and see what happens.

If you know how much water was in the bucket after a fixed time, 1 min or 30 secs or whatever then easy to calculate the flowrate in LPM.

Sponsored Links
If you know how much water was in the bucket after a fixed time, 1 min or 30 secs or whatever then easy to calculate the flowrate in LPM.
I drew a line on the bucket, anyway, on a reduced flow the rainfall does indeed do the same thing. So, is this definitely a boiler issue?

Thank you again for your help.

Won't get a handle on that until we know the flowrate in LPM.

Ensure the bucket can hold the amount that flows from the problem shower in exactly 30 secs.
Atart the shower at its normal settings and then just hold the bucket under it for exactly 30 secs and take it away and measure its contents into a 1 litre container (milk bottle?). If the measured amount is say 2.5 litres then the flowrate is (2.5X2), 5.0LPM., if its 4.0litres then the flowrate is (4.0x2), 8.0LPM

Baxi 105e by any chance ?
Venturi should have been first thing changed if your having problems with shower

It was just under 3.5 litres in 30 seconds, around 3.4, so is that 6.8 LPM?
Yes, 6.8 to 7.0 LPM.

If your boiler has temperature indication LEDs like shown, can you see what temperature is indicated with both the problem shower on and the rain head.
Your boiler may only be able to modulate to a minimum of 11.0kw, if so, then (from mains at 20C), a minimum flowrate of 7.8LPM is required. You might try increasing the DHW flow temperature to max and see does it make any difference as it might increase the mixed flowrate a little.
Also post the exact boiler model number and any details from the label as someone here will identify/know the minimum output then.

1687698746196.png

It's a Baxi 30HE.

Max DHW changes nothing (I've tried it on max, mid, low) the problem remains on the bad shower.

The temp hits the 70 led really quickly before the flame goes out, we then have to turn the knob on the shower to max hot, wait until it's scalding then have a few seconds at the correct temp, rinse and repeat.

The indicating temperature neons might only show the CH (boiler primary water temperature) even when on DHW, this primary water is circulated through one side the PHE and the mains water through the other side, turning down the CH setting might have some effect on the DHW temperature, you could try this.
What temperature is indicated when on the rain shower?
Boiler might only require a service + DHW thermistor testing but that flowrate is marginal at 7LPM for a 11kw output with present mains temp of +20C.
As a temporary measure, if the problem shower head is required for hair washing or whatever then opening a hot tap to some degree might allow the boiler to continue firing.

1687716831099.png

The above is from a Main 30 HE, can't find a Baxi Combi 30 HE but a 130 HE shows a similar venturi set up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back