Shower screen nightmare...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I’m wondering if there’s anyone who’s managed to solve what’s becoming a major pain in the a$$... busy sprucing up the bathroom - painted, scraped out grout and renewed, new lino, new taps, toilet, mirrors, etc. Came across a fair amount of water damage caused by a leaking glass shower screen which thankfully has been fixed (some replaced flooorboards later and all’s well), this has been going on unbeknownst for sometime. Replaced the screen for another one (it’s a ‘p-shaped’ glass shower screen - bought from Wickes last week) and there’s a leak...
The leak appears behind the bath on the wall; sadly the bathroom hasn’t been tanked and the family aren’t at all keen for me to pull out the bath, tiles and waterproof the place as it should have been done (I know (n)).
I’ve found the likely area of where the water’s penetrating, which is around where the shower screen meets the wall. I’ve followed the fitting instructions fully - siliconed the outside only (there’s no water getting out there thankfully).
I’m wondering if I’m missing something here with the sealing of the screen? A good (plumber) friend of mine has had a look and suggested a shower curtain :LOL: which I’m probably going to go for even if the missus kills me...

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Pictures will help us get a good idea of what's going on with your set up ,can you post some please?

As above, hard to tell without seeing pics. Is the bath sealed to the wall properly ?

Thanks for the replies - I’ll try and get some pics of the set up and post them.

No the bath isn’t sealed to the wall in itself.

There’s never been any other leaks around the bath which may be just very good luck or superb tiling from my missus?!

Sponsored Links
Quick update... before I get round to deleting the entire post (as it’s a bit redundant now). Took the advice of my plumber and opted for a shower curtain. Despite my best attempts I can’t make the bath leak now :ROFLMAO: Fair to say I’m saddened at having to give up on the screen but my set up just wasn’t able to cope; when it comes to putting in a new bath I’ll make sure the place is fully tanked and sealed! Cheers

Thanks bishbosh for your reply, I’ve been trying to find a way of deleting the thread? Seems a bit silly to have it here when I’ve sorted out the thing I was asking about :LOL: cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back