Shower supply from expansion pipe ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, planning to fit a shower in a new 1st floor ensuite roughly under the cold water tank in the loft. On a gravity fed system with the hot water cylinder on the 1st floor (opposite end of house from the cold water tank). Can I supply the hot feed to a thermostatic shower from the hot water cylinder expansion pipe (22mm) in the loft before it rises up into the cold water tank? If so are there any recommendations as to what height or where it would be best to connect to?

At the moment the pipe feels cold but I'm guessing that’s because there isn't any water flow and would warm up once there is?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you will get problems with air being sucked in through the vent if you do as you are planning, unless I've misunderstood your intensions.

Thanks for the reply, here is a quick pic to show what I would like to do.
showerfeed.jpg

Sponsored Links
has been done and can work
as said to save any issues i would run a seperate supply to the shower and being the loft space shouldn't be a problem.

has been done and can work
as said to save any issues i would run a seperate supply to the shower and being the loft space shouldn't be a problem.

When you say a seperate supply to the shower do you mean the cold or hot and if hot where from?

Also would a check valve between the cold water tank and the connection for the shower (hot feed) prevent air being sucked back towards the shower?

When you say a seperate supply to the shower do you mean the cold or hot and if hot where from?
hot straight from the cylinder fitting a flange to the cylinder for 2 outlets instead of the one.
Also would a check valve between the cold water tank and the connection for the shower (hot feed) prevent air being sucked back towards the shower?

you can't fit any type of valve etc on the vent pipe.
as the vent pipe is a safety pipe.

hot straight from the cylinder fitting a flange to the cylinder for 2 outlets instead of the one.

you can't fit any type of valve etc on the vent pipe.
as the vent pipe is a safety pipe.

Many thanks, although getting another pipe up into the loft and across to where it needs to be will be fun as it's a big loft and it's boarded. What are the chances of it being ok as per the diagram? or would I be better off getting the feeds from the bath taps in an adjacent bathroom(approx 8 meters run)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back