Shower tray fitting waste drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Bobballs, 31 Jan 2012.

1. Bobballs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

The chrome drain bit of my shower tray has seen better days and needs replacing, the part I'm refering (not sure of its name) to is the bit below.

http://www.shockwaves-control.co.uk/ebay/20090101/DSCF5111.jpg

Is it possible to replace this part without needing to access under the shower tray ?

thanks

2. seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No cause thats where the back nut is and the trap connection.

3. Bobballs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

I was thinking about replacing the shower tray and cubicle as well, not sure if this is a stupied question but here goes :eek: If I replaced the whole tray etc would you need to access the drain pipe from the room below the shower ? I think the answer will be no or at least I hope it will as the room beneath the shower had a new ceiling fitted a year back would prefer not have to go through that.

4. PlumbGas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there not an access panel around the edge of the base of the shower tray ?

5. gasbanni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you take out the old tray you'll have access to the waste for the new tray
    you wont need to do anything from the room below.

6. Bobballs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At the back of the shower tray in the corner next to the drain there is a raised round circle part about 12 cm in diameter and 3 cm in height best described as upside down bowl, could that be an access point ? I've all ways wondered what it was it doesnt seem to be a fixed down, could that be an access point, if it sounds like one would it just need to turn it to loosen it ?

thanks

7. joemay87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you can just replace the waste, without replacing the tray you know. it should be screwable, have you tried to unscrew it? it should come out easily.

8. joemay87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    by access panel plumbgas means an easy plumb shower tray i got one 5 years ago best investment (i live in bungalow)something like that, check the height of your shower tray. if you do replace the tray go for a easy fit one less hassle.