Shower with cold feed from tank and hot feed from combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone :) a couple of years ago we had our old style boiler replaced with a combi, but kept the cold water tank in the loft to feed the cold water to the shower (pumped), with the hot water coming from the combi.

Recently the shower packed up and I've since been told that we should have changed it for a mixer when we had the combi installed, as combi boilers and pumped showers don't mix well! So now I'm looking at a mixer shower as a replacement, but will I come across any problems with it getting it's cold water from the tank, but hot from a combi?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You will have unequal pressure and so would be better off converting the cold to mains

Thanks, would i need to put in an expansion vessel if i was taking the cold feed directly from the mains? Would the uneven pressure from the tank (if i were to leave it in) be likely to cause problems? Thanks for the help :)

Thanks, would i need to put in an expansion vessel if i was taking the cold feed directly from the mains?
No
Would the uneven pressure from the tank (if i were to leave it in) be likely to cause problems?
Yes

Pretty trivial to convert the shower pipework to mains - just tee into the cold supply pipe to the cold water tank and connect to current pipe. To be honest, it's just as easy for all the cold water to be mains fed now.

Sponsored Links
Yes it could cause problems.

You wouldn't need to fit an expansion vessel, just link the cold main feeding the tank to the outlet on the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back