shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ex is finding it hard to use bath due to injury , so i need to get her an electric shower fitted , iv already changed bath to shower taps ect is just about usable , i can do all plumbing ect and easy to drop a mains feed from loft , she wants quite a powerfull shower also 2 teenage kids in house

So any recomendations as to make , rating ect , with price of cable dont want to really go past cook cable size 30amp , I was thinking Max £100 for shower , ill do plumbing and then a sparks to wire

Or do you think im better of paying a plumber to do the lot

Thanks

Tezz

Sponsored Links
Ps

Im going to T off mains in loft peglar gate valve or stop cock

'Powerful' and 'Electric Shower' are terms that will never sit together comfortably in the same sentence.

Limiting yourself to a 30 Amp supply is a mistake. That limits your choice to a maximum of 7 KiloWatt - about the weakest, weediest showers on the market.

10 KW units provide a reasonable shower, but the electrical installation MUST be up to the job, as they require in excess of 40 Amps, with appropriate cable size, MCB and RCD protection.

Any new electrical circuits, and all electrical work in bathrooms is notifiable to your local building control, who charge you for the privilege of doing so. It's usually better to employ an electrician to properly design, install certify and notify the electrical installation.

Why can't you use a shower mixer from the existing hot water installation?
Mixers can usually take advantage of stored hot water or the higher water heating capacity of a combi boiler (the smallest combi boiler is usually capable of delivering at least double the power of the biggest electric shower available)

Some problems with mixer showers can be overcome by careful selection of brassware to suit your existing hot and cold water supply pressures, or adding a shower pump to boost the water pressures. The pump can often be located outside the bathroom, and take it's power feed from an existing power circuit, avoiding the above problems with electrical work in bathrooms.

thanks yes last house we lived in i install a big pump and own feed from tank and adaptor at cylinder , this house anit mine lol so looking for a way out

but if i have to fit a 10kW and 40 amp i will as peace i get worth way more than cost for shower

electric are covered and fuse borad is RCD and has space and has spare capicty and space for MCB

FFS have ya seen the price of cable and copper right now , i nearly fell of chair

I was thinking mira or triton may be bristan but i dont know this make

Sponsored Links
well no recomendations

so I got a Triton 80si 9.5 , ill do fitting pipes ect , sparks says £100 to wire up inc all cable isolators mcb ect

what do ya think 15 mm gate valve or 15mms top cock on mains just for shower feed , not a fan of ball valves

Gate valve, on mains?!?!

As seco says, a decent full-bore valve. Pegler PB300T ('T' handle, not lever) would be my choice.

cool i get a full bore valve , i did wounder about gate valve on mains but asumed as thats all she has in loft inc feeds to tanks was some reason for it i was not aware of , should have know better as council house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back