Siemans Avantgarde Dishwasher NO POWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no power to the machine - checked fuse and its fine - when press the power switch I can hear a slight noise but no of the lights come on the machine - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Could have several causes. Mains suppressor blown, open circuit someplace, pcb failure...You need to expand a little, a good start would be to post the machine details & "E number".

The first thing I would check is the mains suppressor. Unplug the machine & follow the cable down to the bottom left side. Remove the plastic out of its slot & you'll find the mains suppressor is just inside. Look for signs of burning or soot marks around it. If you have a multimeter you can also check the mains cable for breaks (contrary to popular belief sealed plugs can sometimes fail). If you find a fault replacement is easy, if not then further investigation is required. Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
That is the correct part. I wouldn't buy a new one before confirming the old one is actually defective. But I have seen quite a few of these "pop" lately.

I checked the suppressor and that looks very clean - no signs as you suggested -

I out a multimeter across and thats OK for power
I also took the front off the machine and checked for power across the switch that turns the machine on/off (brown and blue leads into the power switch) - it has no volts
Could it be as simple as the spring loaded switch is broke?

If you have no voltage on the hot side of the switch then the problem doesn't lie in the switch itself. Providing you have voltage to the suppressor there is either a break in the wiring between the suppressor & switch (check the wiring harness at the door pivot point for damage) or the sealed suppressor unit is indeed defective & needs replacing.
I don't know how confident you feel about this & I certainly don't want you to get you electrocuted. Your machine will work work perfectly well without a mains suppressor as it is not a safety device in that respect (however your TV picture might suffer). If you find no wiring damage & the cables check for continuity you could try bypassing the suppressor temporarily to see if this restores function. Be extremely careful :eek: or call qualified assistance. http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=165201

OK - I will do the checks as suggested, if it gets beyond some simple wiring checks I will call in a local repair centre - will keep you informed as to outcome and thanks for help

Have not been on this for some time - a month and no washer
OK- there is power to the switch brown/blue; if I press it down I get power across the white coloured wires - no power on the red/white strip wire?

So power into machine and no signs of damage to suppressor and power to the switch

Nothing lights up and no power to any of the bottom end electrics on the motor or pump - other than power to a white wire that goes into a yellow block (?)

Cannot see any visible signs of damage to the wiring; could it be the circuit board

Forgot to ask - by[assing the suppressor - you mean take it of completely or do I have to put a temporary wire across the circuit?
[/quote]

Wow...a month of washing up manually, whatever did people do before dishwashers?
Leave the suppresor issue for the moment.
Of course the pcb could be history. Have you checked if it actually has voltage? If I remember rightly the main switch has 6 terminals (they may be marked 1 to 6, I can't remember wiring colours). Feed from the suppressor should arrive at terminals 2 and 4 at the switch. Terminals 1 & 5 on the other side of the switch supply voltage to the board. Looking at the pcb there should be a 2 wire connection plug at the far right (marked .1) this is the power supply to the board. Check if you have voltage at the plug when the switch is the on position. If there is voltage at the plug then the pcb is indeed history. Be careful :eek:

OK - back again - we have stopped eating now paper plates only!

I am pretty sure I have a dodgy switch!

I can get power to the PCB input you desribed - this is fed from the door lock so that you get red/white strip wire from on/off switch to door sensor and then red/white wire going into right hand side of PCB (two wire connection thoe other is plain white)

But the voltage jumps all over the place from zero to 176 at the door sensor/PCB and the switch appears to be not sure if its on or off (if that makes sense) - I get 240 at the on/off switch

I took the switch apart, small sign of carbon black on the mains in, but nothing major

Any ideas :confused:

If you have a stable supply in to the pcb but the display/led's are dead then the pcb is gone. If the supply is unstable then it sounds like a bad contact someplace. If the switch is burned in any way you ought to change it regardless, they don't cost a fortune.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back