silicon for grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any reason I can't use white silicon between the tiles instead of grout?
it's anti-mould kitchen stuff and I only have 6 tiles to "grout" between.. it seems a shame to open a bag of grout just to make up a cup full...

if it makes any difference, it will be behind the microwave anyway so won't be seen..

Sponsored Links
gun it straight into the lines... soapy water as a release agent or a silicon tool..

i suggest you try a trial area before committing to do the whole lot.

Sponsored Links
nevermind, I ripped open the brand new 5KG bag of mould proof, antibacterial grout and made up half a cupfull...
so there's now 4900g of grout going into the bin instead of back to the shop... :rolleyes:

I honestly don't know why they don't make ready mixed grout in a tube for caulk guns..
it would be so much easier to apply to the lines....

ive never had a problem grouting.just spread it all over,remove excess,let go off a bit,stick the joint(dipped in water with washing up liquid),then sponge over getting rid of excess again and clean off tiles.let dry and wipe with a nice dry cloth.

i know you are sorted. but my opinion on why not to use silicone instead of grout is because when it needs replacing it will be very difficult to remove. where as grout can easily be removed using a grout cutter or a jagged edged tool. also if it smeared on the tile it maybe difficult to remove deponding upon which brand of slicone was used

I can see why smearing might be a problem on a porous or textured tile sich as natural stone types, and that gunning it wouldn't be any use for mosaic style tiles..

why would you need to renew the silicone?
shouldn't it last at least as long as the seals to the worktop etc do?

if it's anti-mould etc then it should last longer than the grout..?
it shouldn't stain either like the grout might..

as for removal, you ust use a stanley knife etc..

nevermind, I ripped open the brand new 5KG bag of mould proof, antibacterial grout and made up half a cupfull...
so there's now 4900g of grout going into the bin instead of back to the shop... :rolleyes:

I honestly don't know why they don't make ready mixed grout in a tube for caulk guns..
it would be so much easier to apply to the lines....

please don't bin it! save the planet and all that..
if you don't want to store it, someone would be glad to have it.
you could try here - http://www.ilovefreegle.org (used to be known as freecycle) or ebay to find someone who'll collect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back