silicon sealant turning black in shower cubicle

Dow Corning 785 and get better at cleaning...our shower hasn't got a hint of mould and I installed it about five years ago. Use a spray-on daily shower cleaner after every shower and make sure you clean down properly at least once a week

Sponsored Links
Thanks again to all for your feedback.

I can see that the usual elbow grease might do the trick! :)

i found the dow corning stuff to stay white the longest. It may sound stupid but since ive switched from soap to shower gel a good hose down of the areas after a shower seems to be keeping discolouration at bay.

Thanks again to all for your feedback.

I can see that the usual elbow grease might do the trick! :)

No need for elbow grease at all.
Get some 'GROTBUSTER' from asda and other places . leave it with your tennants and tell them to read the instructions and use it when they want to brighten the sealant up.
Trust me--it works !!
If they want to live with the black stuff- that's up to them- but at least it lets you off the hook.

been there and done it!! :)

Sponsored Links
The sealant is not the problem, its the design of the shower area, lack of ventilation promotes mold, fitted twin extractors to my shower room and silicon is all still white [10years old now]

The sealant is not the problem, its the design of the shower area, lack of ventilation promotes mold, fitted twin extractors to my shower room and silicon is all still white [10years old now]

I agree with you BUT the layout of bathroom and different use, frequency of use and personal hygiene habits play a major part

All mould problems are the result of ventilation-- simple as that.

NO silicone will stay white forever .

It's just a fact of life . But- some silicone WILL stay whiter than others - .
It is usually the crap trapped in the gaps when the silicone has been applied that looks dirty .

GROTBUSTER IS THE ANSWER. Try it before you judge . It REALLY is good stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back