single pipe heating systems with combi boilers

And there shows your lack of understanding that it is a two way contract and councils have standard of service to meet and things dont just get changed when they have reached the end of there working life.
You may not think its right but its what central government decrees.
And i think all repairs must be paid from the rental income so as its not a burden on every rate payer

Sponsored Links
Can I just point out that I am also a tax payer and I am not actually scum, a lowlife or a drug addict. I work very hard full time, whilst doing a full time degree and also being a full time mother!! but oh wait a second that isnt actually the point is it? Again I am not asking for the boiler to be changed and I am not asking for anything that everyone else hasn't already been provided with, all I want is an efficient heating system!! All I was after when I posted my original message was some advice/info on whether or not the single pipe system was efficient or not. If I was advised that it wasn't I wanted to be able to have the facts to back up my argument for a new system to be installed.

By the way the system wasn't fitted 10 years ago, it is all original 40's (apart from the boiler, which I'm not concerned about) so it was all installed roughly 60 years ago.

Thank you to those of you who have actually answered my question and not just used this as an opportunity to have a go.

You only pay for the heat which is used so you are not paying "more than you should". In fact your bill will be LESS than the others if the output is less. Get ready to double it if it is sorted out.

That is not surprising and is one of the problems with a small one pipe system with undersized radiators. THAT should justify that the system is replaced with a two pipe with new and probably larger rads.

No one can say that a one pipe is "inefficient" ! They are all 100% efficient but the question is if the heat output is sufficient to heat the property. Many were installed when the expectation of temperatures was lower than nowadays.

You must complain CLEARLY in writing that the heat output is insufficient to provide adequate heating. THAT is the only argument that you can use to get them to upgrade the system. Any heating engineer will understand that.

Any assistant will just think that you are just bleating because you see your neighbours being replaced but not yours. That seemed to be the argument with which you started your posting on here. A properly managed complaint will get yours upgraded !

Tony

Sponsored Links
If the radiators are undersized, (unlikely) then they are undersized however they are piped up.

Tony is still giving the impression than upgrading to two pipes will solve the problem.

IT WON'T MAKE ANY DAMN DIFFERENCE.

So why in the real world does it,
I have never had a customer say after changing from 1 pipe to 2 yeah it heats up just the same.
The usual comment is i really didnt realise how bad it was i am amazed how much FASTER rads heat up and how much hotter the house is and the boiler goes off now

If the radiators are undersized, (unlikely) then they are undersized however they are piped up.

Tony is still giving the impression than upgrading to two pipes will solve the problem.

I understand Yours and Tony`s experience/knowlege. But I have fitted woefully undersized rads on Council new build contracts.And Sub contract for BG pre CORGI where they supplied 5 rads to all sizes of house. The rads were all the same few sizes. Just one customer, a Cop, asked me in detail .Like they do. about the technical aspects of his BG job. He wasn`t happy but he paid the £ and could`ve had me direct for less and a bespoke system too. OK I only used a Mears calculator @ the time , but I`m not ashamed of any of my jobs ;)

I totally agree.

another point directed at the OP, is this...

your boiler is five years old, ok?
so you have for last five years financially experienced the benefit of a relatively modern boiler that is streets ahead of the other tennants who had to pay higher gas bills due to the inefficent boilers that were foisted on them.

now considering your fuel bills have been substancially lower than theirs, if it was a fair world, would you be prepared to reimburse your savings into the community chest?

it seems to me this is a bit of a one sided desire :rolleyes:

The chances are that the OP's boiler is NOT condensing any any savings will be small.

The disadvantages in terms of heat output is that only the first rad on a one pipe has the full boiler flow temperature and the last is virtually the return temperature.

However as a couple of past installers have said a domestic one pipe was usually an extreme budget system run in 15 mm with seriously undersized rads which are then supplied with ( mostly ) cooler water.

All rads on a two pipe are supplied with water at the flow temperature.

Tony

Oh Dear. :rolleyes:

The problem if anything Tony is the reverse, and the return is too hot.

strange no response

sorry I didn't reply to you instantly yesterday, I would of if I had logged in!! Really I think you are being quite pathetic, I am not interested in how much money other people are saving to be perfectly honest as I'm sure you wouldn't be if you were in this same situation.

I didn't ask for the combi 5 years ago, it was already in the house wen I moved in and I have been complaining about how freezing cold my house is and asking if something was wrong with my heating because I was having my boiler on full belt all of the time with my thermostat turned high and it wasn't making that much of a difference! So yes I have been slightly concerned about whether or not I have been paying for something I wasn't getting, as I am sure most people (unless money is no object to them) would!

I don't know why you seem to have such a massive problem with me as I only asked for advice, you weren't forced to comment on my original post so why bother if you just trying to get your digs in?

The problem if anything Tony is the reverse, and the return is too hot.

The only problem that can occur, but this depends on how its set up, is that the return is too hot to allow condensation in the boiler.

If the one pipe flow is reduced so the normal condensing boiler differential of 15-20° C is achieved then, as I said before, the rads near the return point are too cool.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back