Single radiator stays warm whilst heating is off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got gas central heating and over the last couple of days during the cold weather, one radiator has continued to stay warm during the day while the heating is off.

It's really odd and I'm baffled as to why this and only this radiator in the bathroom remains warm. At first I wondered if it was wired as well as being on the main central heating because it's a towel radiator, but this is 100% not the case.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Do you have a hot water cylinder?

Does it only get warm when your cylinder is timed to heat up?

Possibly connected to the primary flow and return to the cylinder, people do this so they can dry their towels all year round wether the heating is on or not.

Yes, we have a hot water cylinder.

No, it remains warm all day even when the cylinder and radiators are off (or at least all should be off).

Maybe it is connected to the primary flow and return to the cylinder (not sure) however it's never done this before and has only ever been on whilst all other radiators are on.

Sponsored Links
OK, so today with everything off (both CH and water off) the radiator did not stay warm. I turned the hot water on and the radiator did not warm up either, yet today was the first day when it significantly went above 0oC due to the rain.

Still baffled and will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike

Hi

This is the exact same problem I have found at my grans house. She has gas CH that goes off at 9pm all the radiators go cold within an hour but the towel rail in the bathroom upstairs next to the airing cupboard is still boiling hot at midnight. The boiler says it is off and is making no noise. Totally baffled as to why one can still be hot and the others cold. I think they once mentioned something about a water tank in the loft. Would the water be circulating as the heating is on through all radiators and tank which feeds towel rails but when switched off the towel rail and tank are out of the loop so take longer to cool down?

Just want to make sure this is nothing dangerous for my gran or costing here extra money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back