single rcd's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
iam after a piece of advice, iam due to have some work done in my house by a local sparky, iam told by him my new circuits will need to be rcd protected which my fuse board does not have, it is of the mcb type switchs. so he has said i will need my board changed to a dual RCD. ive asked him to just add a RCD in the main tail cables. is this possible he quoted a regulation 314.1 but i have no idear what this means?

Sponsored Links
ok, :) just out of interest what is that regulation, with out me going out and buying the regs book,

Regulation 314.1, ‘Division of Installation', must also be taken into account. When installing the circuit protective arrangements, Regulation 314.1 states that every installation shall be divided into circuits as necessary to:
s Avoid hazards and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault
s Take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit
s Reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation

Sponsored Links
oh right ok makes sense i guess,
we have an earth rod in the ground so thats why we need the board changed. we have what looks like an RCD (black thing with a yellow button) which my sparky said wasnt an actual RCD.
is there any thing on the internet / leaflets on this regulation, he gave me some 2 options
dual rcd or all rcds

He is right all the way. Keep a hold on to him/her. There's not too many like that!. You won't gain much by getting a copy of the regs. Many trained electricians don't understand much of that.

The black thing with a yellow button is one of the old Voltage Earth Leakage Breakers. These are now obsolete and do not function in today's environment.

You have a choice of dual RCD or RCBO on each circuit. RCBO on each circuit is the much better solution, but it is more expensive.....you could sell the Volvo, maybe?

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back