Single Skin Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ground floor bathroom has a single skin external wall which I am looking to make double skin/cavity. Looking to use batoning and some sort of board. What boarding would be best suited for use in a bathroom. I would need to tile a small area too. Would it need to be skimmed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
build a timber frame structure with insulation infill, i.e celotex kingspan etc.

you will also need a vapour barrier stapled to the studs on the back of the plasterboard.

yes, use a standard board in the bathroom though it may be wise to fix aquaboard or similar in areas subject to frequent soakings i.e. shower or bath enclave.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the replies.

Can you suggest and link to any particular insulations? So I can see exactly what I should buy.

Thanks.

Have a look at the Celotex, Kingspan and Jabalite sites all provide comprehensive info.
Jabalite is the cheapest but not as good for u values as the latter.
Pete

Just an update on what I'm doing.

I've found some 30mm Ecotherm board at a good rate which I will be collecting soon with a roll of vapour barrier (1000 gauge polythene).

Collecting some 38x63 CLS timber for the battoning and some 80mm hammer fixings tomorrow.

Once I've installed the timber, insulation board and polythene I will order some 9.6 plasterbaord.

I really don't want to skim the plasterboard, I want to fill the joints and fixing points then directy paint it. Do I need to prime the board? What will the finish be like?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back