Single storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to add a single storey extension to my house but I'm not sure if the size would be allowed. We already have a small extension which would be removed and rebuilt with a pitched roof. We looked at 2 storey but it seems overlooking neighbours could be a problem so we are thinking a longer single storey instead. From the pics we would start from the gate, follow the white line roughly and incorporate the garage as part of the house (demolish and rebuild the garage as a bedroom/bathroom). Does this seem like it could be done with planning permission?

Sponsored Links
The only problem you might come up with is the width of the extension. If it is more than ½ the width of the existing house, it would need planning permission.

PS; it also mustn't join on to the rear extension.

The old extension will be demolished as part of the build but then rebuilt as a sideways T shape I suppose to the original house. A bit like the pic below but the left side would be longer for the bedroom

I don't mind having to go through planning, it's more a question of if something like this is normally allowed at all. Most of the houses on the street have a 2 storey side extension or car port with bedroom above. It would look similar to the neighbours wooden lean to that's in the first picture but with the addition of the garage included as part of the house.

Better quality/un-filtered photos and plans would help. But why not stick in a planning application and see what happens?

Sponsored Links
If it's a 'wrap-round', it would need planning permission, though you should be OK.

Single storey side and rear extensions are rarely a concern to planners if you did have to apply.

But if you want a two storey, apply for that. If it conforms to the council's design policy, then it will be approved. Overlooking is not what you think in a planning context.

Sorry about the pics, I couldn't get them off the computer to my phone to upload so had to photo the screen. We tried an architect for the 2 storey plan but he has been useless with the council. It was to be changed from single to double storey over the existing extension and a full side build but he couldn't sort out the roof and the angles for the neighbours with light restrictions. Hopefully the new architect will be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back