Single to double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have a gas hob and a built-under single oven in the kitchen. We want to change to a double oven but reading up on it, one issue might be the cooker socket.

The current oven is hardwired into a 'cooker' switch on the wall but as it's a single oven only needs a 13 amp. The new oven we're looking at needs 32 amps.

I've looked at the circuit breaker box to see if there's a clue as to whether the wiring will take the new oven or whether it needs redoing.

If I'm understanding it right, this is a 32amp breaker and I should be ok to get the new oven wired in to the existing socket, but wanted to ask and check.

Sponsored Links
The current oven is hardwired into a 'cooker' switch on the wall but as it's a single oven only needs a 13 amp. The new oven we're looking at needs 32 amps.
Could we see a photo of this 'cooker switch'? What does the new oven say about its power/extricity requirements, and how it should be connected?
If I'm understanding it right, this is a 32amp breaker and I should be ok to get the new oven wired in to the existing socket, but wanted to ask and check.
If the cable used to wire that circuit is appropriate (probably 4mm² or 6mm²) for the 32A breaker, then it should be OK for your new oven, but you really ought to get an electrician to confirm that the cable actually is appropriate/ adequate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Attached pictures of the cooker socket - the switch for the cooker hardwire is on the left. The other picture is the screen on ao for the electric requirement. I guess I'll likely pay them for installation as I don't have the skills needed, but I need to make sure it will work and won't need a massive rewire.

Thanks for the replies. ... Attached pictures of the cooker socket - the switch for the cooker hardwire is on the left. The other picture is the screen on ao for the electric requirement. I guess I'll likely pay them for installation as I don't have the skills needed, but I need to make sure it will work and won't need a massive rewire.
The crucial question is whether or not the person who installed that cooker control unit connected the 'cooker' side of it to some sort of outlet below worktop level. If (s)he did not then (a) there is probably no solution which would not disrupt your tiling and (b) the suppliers of the oven would almost certainly not be prepared to install it. With any luck, the person who installed that cooker control unit will have thought ahead and wired it to some sort of cooker outlet plate below counter level.

Kind Regards, John

As JohnW2 said, there is a chance there is a connection plate under the work top sunk into the wall. Should be fairly obvious. Don't poke around until the supply is off !

Don't know if it helps, but under the oven is this funky little box. It either takes one in and sends two out or vice-versa. Might be the droid we're looking for.

Don't know if it helps, but under the oven is this funky little box. It either takes one in and sends two out or vice-versa. Might be the droid we're looking for.
It may be but, if so, the cable doesn't look all that meaty.

Is that thing which comes down the wall and then goes off the the left (near floor level) a pipe or a cable? If a cable, where does it go? Does your gas hob have an electric igniter and, if so, where does that get its power from?

Kind Regards, John

That is a cable that comes down, loops up and then goes back where it came from.

The gas hob does have an electric sparker. Again, not sure where the power comes from, but on this photo (excuse the mess) the fuse and switch for the sparker is over on the right.

Is that thing which comes down the wall and then goes off the the left (near floor level) a pipe or a cable? If a cable, where does it go?

IanSimo, it may be the feed to the cooker switch, before you dismantle the kitchen too much.

A closer photo shot of the junction box may help too. Pulling the oven out may reveal a bit more too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back