Sink incinerator and wall switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have just moved into an apartment and none of the wall switches seem to work. I have changed all the fuses (like for like) but the lights don't come on.

On the same subject the switch that controls the sink incinerator doesn't work (I am assuming it's for the incinerator) I have uploaded images.

Does anyone know how i can fix this?

The second image shows the wall switch for what i assume to be the underfloor heating.

Thanks guys :D

Sponsored Links
The second image shows damage to fuse holder, so that would need replacing.

Have actually checked that power is being supplied at the board?
Are they wall switches for lighting or are they fused connection as displayed in second photo or are they a mixture of both?

There could be an RCD or an MCB at the board that needs resetting, I assume there was nothing to suggest an issue with the the electric installation during the purchase.

Sponsored Links
If you are renting talk to your new landlord. If you have purchased talk to your solicitor. If your are squatting no comment.

... the sink incinerator ...
I doubt you've got an incinerator in your sink.

I think it's quite clear that what is meant here is not an incinerator in the sink but a device for incinerating sinks. It does seem a little strange that the OP has one, unless he's in the sink disposal business. Even then, one assumes you can't incinerate stainless steel or ceramic sinks. That only really leaves plastics and I think you'd probably get in a lot of trouble for incinerating plastic sinks in your house, especially if you're doing this on a commercial basis.

I'm sure BAS probably knows better than I the permits that the OP requires.

I think it's quite clear that what is meant here is not an incinerator in the sink but a device for incinerating sinks.
Ah - didn't think of that.

Even then, one assumes you can't incinerate stainless steel or ceramic sinks.
You can, but it takes a lot of energy, and may create considerable collateral damage.

To continue the silliness:

If the OP has replaced fuses 'like for like' the appliances still will not work.

He should replace blown fuses with new ones.

Hi guys i have just moved into an apartment and none of the wall switches seem to work. I have changed all the fuses (like for like) but the lights don't come on.
I take it you mean the switched FCUs for various appliances, and the neon lights in them, rather than the light switches and the room lighting?

As PBoD said - have you checked the CU?

How many "switches"? The plural suggests at least two but let's be sure. Even so, two fuses blowing is at least plausible, ten would seem unlikely and suggest one needs to look for a cause elsewhere.

As the saying goes: "to loose one fuse might be considered a misfortune, to loose two looks like carelessness."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back