Sitting timber beam on Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently replacing my extension roof from a flat roof, to a pitched roof.

The two load bearing walls are the front wall of the extension and the walls of the bungalow. Therefore building control is happy with the idea of using two timber beams, created using 2no 47x175 timbers bolted together. These will sit on the inner block work of the front wall and brickwork of the bungalow.

I could lay a concrete block on both walls and hang the beam, but I would rather set it in.

My questions are:
Does the beam need to be bedded on?
Does the beam need any restraint straps? (the beams will be tied together using the ceiling joists)
As I will be resting the beam on the top course on both walls, do more blocks need to be laid either side of the beam to support/wedge it?

Sponsored Links
Does the beam need to be bedded on?
No, rest it directly on the masonry.

Does the beam need any restraint straps?
Possibly...or the joists may need twisted straps depending upon how the structure is connected.

As I will be resting the beam on the top course on both walls, do more blocks need to be laid either side of the beam to support/wedge it?
It should not need wedging no. I'm not quite getting your detail but, often the masonry carries on up to the underside of say a flat roof deck, depending upon how the thermal envelope is constructed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back