skim layer coming off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When I stripped my wall paper in the bedroom there was a vast area of plaster where the skimming layer had just flaked off leaving a ridge between the skimmed area and flakey area. I just papered over it cos I was in a rush and although the ridge can be seen through the paper its not too bad. A job for another time.

However, I have stripped the paper in my hallway and am getting the same thing happening. Basically the skim layer is just flaking off the underlying plaster, which has alot of hairline cracks in it.

I think i really should skim this again but don't really know where to start. Can't afford to hire a pro.

Any tips/instructions/materials&tools lists etc would be really helpfull.

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
how big an area are we talking? are they isolated patches and how deep are they?

About 4 square meters. Its only the skim layer 3mm thick thats peeling off.

Sponsored Links
is the whole 4 sqm come of or is it patchy across the area?
if its the whole area its going to need re skimming really. If it not the whole area you could use something like wickes drywall filler, which is fairly easy to work with and sand down after to get rid of any irregularities or polycell do a product that you smooth over the wall with a large blade and agian you can sand it down after. Both would be cheaper than getting someone in but then you pay your money and take your choice

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back