skiming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am on to the final coat of plaster ive put 2 bonding coats over the plaster board and have board finnish to go on to it this is my first time at plastering so dont laff lol

1902201217.jpg

19022012180.jpg

so the question is how the f.....k do you get a finnish with out the float marks in it ?ive tryed being light with it being heavy, and changed the angle off attack but can i stop getting them 2 lines in it ... can i hell tips please :)

Sponsored Links
1St mistake is bonding onto plasterboard, you don't do this, and it will probably fall off.

Second is practice.

fall off :LOL: ........ace wouldnt mind got told to bond it all by the plaster on the site i was working on :evil: sod it its getting papered anyway mite hold it on for a bit :rolleyes:

think he probably meant thistle bond-it which is a primer you paint onto the plasterboard before you skim it.

After you've put your skim coat on, you wait for while for it to go off a bit and then with a brush, flick a bit of water (or you can aply water straight to the trowel or use a spray bottle) and trowel it up nice a smooth.

Sponsored Links
I agree your plasterer probably was referring to "Thistle Bond-It" but quiet why he to told you to use it is anybody’s guess. You don’t normally need any prep on plasterboard unless it’s been up for a while or is very dusty & then PVA is just as good. However, your Bonding coats shouldn’t fall off if correctly applied; Bonding IS suitable for any low suction background including plasterboard.

The problem will be with the skim coats; Bonding is high suction & you will need to control this before skimming or the finish skim will go off on you far too quick.

Your bonding wont fall off. It is perfectly suitable for plasterboard. Used it many times without any problems. Some people giving very bad advice on here. Bondit on plasterboard??? Why???

Anyway, as for your lines.. Start from top left of the wall(if right handed) and work from left to right. When trowing in, put slightly more pressure on the heel of your trowel. That way you should only get the one line and should be taking the line out with every swoop you make.

Before you start though, make sure you give the wall a couple coats of diluted pva to control the suction. Failure to do this will cause the finish coat to dry in far too quick for anyones liking.

Next time you come to plaster on plasterboard, dont bother about the bonding, theres no need unless the boards are not even

:oops: Apologies, looks like I am learning today as well. I was told years ago bonding would not adhere properly to PB. Live and learn glad the experts put your mind at rest.

and you want to use multifinish for plastering on top of bonding, board finish does what it says on the tin, boards.

and you want to use multifinish for plastering on top of bonding, board finish does what it says on the tin, boards.

he should be ok with board finish. Think its much the same as multi just you have longer to play with it before it sets. Ive used many times when ive ran out of multi and only have board left in the van

Yea but as he is a beginner, i spose its best to learn what your "meant" to do/use.

Some say Board finish gives a better finish but I can’t say I’ve noticed; I always use Multi. It does go off slightly slower over boards so will give a little more time which can be useful if your not experienced. Board finish may go off rather more quickly over dry Bonding even after PVA; might be advisable to use Multi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back