Skimming a painted wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall in poor condition, dents, scraps etc... it needs skimming but it's painted. Is it best to remove the paint or can I get away with skimming over it?

I'd rather do it the right way so if there's any doubts in plastering over it I won't bother.

So what would be the best way to get it off? Sounds time consuming and messy!!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a wall in poor condition, dents, scraps etc... it needs skimming but it's painted. Is it best to remove the paint or can I get away with skimming over it?

I'd rather do it the right way so if there's any doubts in plastering over it I won't bother.

So what would be the best way to get it off? Sounds time consuming and messy!!

Thanks.

Just scrap off all the loose paint and what ever crap you come across, wipe it down to remove all dust etc. Clean it with sugar soap, thistle bond it then skim.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

I would remove all loose flaky paint, give the wall a bit of a sand down to form a key, remove dirt, grease, dust. Two coat prime with a good PVA

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back