Skip - Maximum Slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My driveway is quite steep - one part is 1 in 5, the other part is 1 in 12. What is the maximum slope that you can site a 6 yard skip on without risk of it moving. The skip will be loaded with a mixture of earth, concrete blocks and rubble.The skip will need to sit on wooden bearers (another thread says scaffolding planks work fine) to protect my tarmac drive.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll have no problem on the shallower part but the 1:5 may be a problem. The skip moving is not an issue.

To be honest with skips its mainly up to how the driver is feeling on the day. Skip drivers in my experience play pretty fast and loose with the rules.

The problem with a slope is picking it up again once its full. The skip will swing once it lifts off a steep slope and that can cause damage to the driveway and possibly their vehicle

Does the drive slope away from the road or down towards it?

We are currently on a job with one of the steepest drives I've worked on, i.e. sloping down towards the house. There is no way on earth I was going to risk having a skip on there. Not because of slippage (unlikely) but because he simply would not have picked it up.
In the end we hacked down a bush that occupied a small but handy planted area at the top of her drive. We used all the branch cuttings to build up the sloped part of the planted area and sat the skip on that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back