Sky wirelessly to bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick question about watching sky in a bedroom without a tvLink.

My sister has sky but hardwiring anything to the bedroom would be an absolute nightmare. The bedroom concerned is in the centre of the house and the sky box is in a far corner downstairs, joists run the wrong way for easy cable fishing. A loft conversion restricts access from above so running anything outside would be just as bad. :mad:

Basically, I want to know if the best way is to buy a remote sender, and if so, any recommendations for a reliable one, or is there some new piece of kit that I don't know about that will do it all wirelessly? (I've always used tvLinks elsewhere.)

Cheers
mrH :)

Sponsored Links
Well, if you won't/can't run cables the ONLY way is a videosender.
I can't recommend any specific model and, in any case, you haven't stated whether the system is High Definition. Bear in mind that wireless signals don't like to pass through solid objects and CAN'T pass through foil-backed plasterboard ceilings. Your best bet is probably Argos so you can easily take it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

It's not that I can't or won't run a cable, but there would be a hell of a lot of unnecessary work involved if there is a video sender that will do just as good a job as a wired set up, hence my question.

The system is HD but the bedroom TV image doesn't have to be HD - it wouldn't be even with a tvLink, would it? (I know my own isn't.) :confused:
Do you mean that standard remote senders won't work with HD systems, or are you just suggesting that to get a HD image, a HD sender would be required?
No foil backed PB anywhere and downstairs is pretty open plan with an open staircase as well.

Cheers
mrH :)

An HD sender is required only if you want HD and if your equipment uses an HDMI socket. If receiver has only one socket that is already in use, you'll also need an HDMI splitter or switch.

The tvLink is a device for providing remote control. It has nothing to do with picture definition.

It sounds as if the signal should get through, provided that neither you, nor close neighbours, are using any device on the same frequency band. Videosenders are available for the 2.4GHz band and the 5.8GHz band. The latter suffers less from interference and should work with your layout.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I realise that the tvLink is just for remote purposes but I always say tvLink because everywhere I have installed a coax, from a digibox to another room, I have used one of those too. :LOL:

Thanks for the advice. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back