slate floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small patch of damp in a chimney breast in the kitchen. I intend to lay slate floor tiles down. Do I need to put down a damp proof membrane? It's a solid concrete floor without any membrane (i think). If I do, then why? Don't they use slate as a dpc anyway? How would the damp get through the tiles?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
First you need to establish exactly where the damp is coming from, is it in the chimney breast, the floor or both? Is the chimney flue unused? If so is it capped & ventilated?

If you’ve no DPM in the floor you would be advised to fit one; this can either be physical membrane with a new over screed or, probably a better solution, would be to lay a damp proof self levelling compound. Just laying down slate tiles won’t cure damp; slate may be impermeable but, moisture will still permeate through the grout lines but, more importantly, the tiling will most likely fail; you cannot tile over a damp floor.

Your post would have been better suited in the Tiling Forum really & I would advise you read the Tiling Forum Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying tiling materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back