Slate Patio efflorescence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had a Slate patio proff installed and they did put a backing sealer on the rear of the tiles to stop damp coming through esp as its around a koi pond .

I have looked into sealers and have purchased lithofin stainstop plus which is oil repellant and is a colour enhancer . While cleaning it down today as its been installed around 4 to 5 months now a couple of white marks have appeared which i put down as effloresence although im not sure as they seem to have appeared also where we have the rattan patio set and i cant say im 100% certain they have appeared after wetting the patio down or they were there before .

But my question is this , can i put the sealer over the top of these and i believe this sealer is breathable so if it is efflorescence it might go naturally in time or do i have to tackle this problem now before sealing .

If i have to tackle the stains now then whats the best thing to use as i have read alot of conflicting stuff on the old tinternet as acid is bad for slate then ive read using a combination of lemon juice, bicarb , vinegar works a treat but these are all acids . So how do i go about getting it off slate .

Please dont reply unless you have tackled slate patios as other types of stone you can use different products on but i dont want to chance using something that destroys the slabs .

Please see attached pics of stains

Are they effloresencence or something else they are more or less flate to the surface i cant brush it off , tried with a paper towel . When its wet it does disappear but then comes straight back , but why are they both round in shape and nowhere else has anything like these stains .

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• slate1.jpg
    slate1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 67
  • slate3.jpg
    slate3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 71
  • slate2.jpg
    slate2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 70
  • slate4.jpg
    slate4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
It was laid on a full mortar bed with a backing sealant put on each tile , i know as i asked and watched them doing it , pretty sure they used sbr bond .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back