Slate tile patio

JDR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A tiling question but in the garden so hopefully in the right forum...

I am will soon be having a new patio area built when the kitchen extension is completed and would like to lay it in slate tiles - reason being the kitchen will be in black slate and we want to continue the theme outside.

The tiles I have in mind for outside are 600x300x12-16mm - riven black slate.

Open to suggestions here - but I was thinking of bring the patio sub-base upto level, compacted soil or hardcore fill (there will be a small 2 or 3 brick wall around to support) - maybe a blinding layer of sand or perhaps drymix sand/cement to form the base with a fall to drain.

Let that stabilise - Then lay the slates on a mortar bed.

I am fairly ok on tiling inside - done that plenty of times before, but this is a bit different - am I totally way off?

Questions -

Best way to form the sub-base?
Is a mortar bed suitable or some other 'adhesive' - if so what type of mortar mix should I go for?
'Grouting' the tiles - mortar or dedicated grout?
Treating/sealing the tiles - required? - including on the underside to aid the mortar to adhere?

Thanks for any help you can give

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
There's lots of posts about prep and about laying slabs, so have you searched first? Also, try pavingexpert.com as well.

Not brushing you off, but just dont wanna re-type what has already been said.

I have had a lok around the forum but the question is not really about laying slabs - I am looking at using slate tiles - these are thinner than a traditional slab so I am guessing that they will need a differnet base to ensure that they are well supported and fixed and not likely to crack.

Sponsored Links
no different at all. layer of compacted mot, wet laid on a full bed of mortar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back