Slaughter free dinner

S

sodthisforfun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

"In 1931, Winston Churchill predicted that the human race would one day "escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium".

Eighty-seven years later, that day has come as we discovered at Just, a food company in San Francisco where we tasted chicken nuggets grown from the cells of a chicken feather."

Amazing stuff if not a bit weird... Would you eat it?

Sponsored Links
If it tastes as good as real chicken, and is cheaper, then yes.

I struggle to see how this will ever be cheaper than breeding chickens though.

Anyway, we used to always use the whole animal, we just got lazy as we got richer. Many people still eat the skin, heart, feet, head, neck and all the flesh.

Not cheaper at the mo, but perhaps one day? Mass production and all that. I could argue that to help with animal suffering and what it costs the earth to have so many animals, a bit higher price tag is worth it.

Amazing stuff isn't it? Science fiction!

Maybe cheaper in the future, but I am not sure. Growing food will require laboratory conditions at all times, very hard to scale on the cheap. A hundred sheds in Norfolk is always going to be cheaper.

What I want is a Star Trek replicator. Until I have one of those, I won't be happy.
Steak, medium grilled, with fries, and a cup of tea, hot. That's all I want.

latest

Sponsored Links
I would love the transporter. No more stuck on the M25. Bliss.

Worth a go. I'm in favour of giving new technologies a go and seeing how they work out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

"In 1931, Winston Churchill predicted that the human race would one day "escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium".

Eighty-seven years later, that day has come as we discovered at Just, a food company in San Francisco where we tasted chicken nuggets grown from the cells of a chicken feather."

Amazing stuff if not a bit weird... Would you eat it?

Interesting, but concerning too.

You can't disinvent, or unlearn, so it is going to be a fact of life (sic). Is it right? What will/can/does it lead to concerns me more.

Strong believer in not tampering with nature.

Would I try it? Undecided, but not in any rush to.

Strong believer in not tampering with nature.

Would I try it? Undecided, but not in any rush to.

The entire food chain is stocked with man made chemicals. Your outlook is a noble one and I agree but considering how much tampering has already taken place it should not put you off from being supportive of new technologies.

The entire food chain is stocked with man made chemicals. Your outlook is a noble one and I agree but considering how much tampering has already taken place it should not put you off from being supportive of new technologies.

Doesn't make it right.

I avoid processed food as much as is possible.

My first boss taught me about progress. "Progress is often advancing backwards", and the older I get, the more I understand and agree with that too.

The bigger issue to me, is what's next, when does this type of technology become wrong?

The bigger issue to me, is what's next, when does this type of technology become wrong?

Making Soylent Green!

Would it be ethical to eat laboratory grown human flesh? It's not like you'd be eating a person....

As for not tampering with nature, bit late, with been doing that for about 10,000 years. We wouldn't have bread, honey, wine, big juicy tomatoes, fat chickens or much else really. Almost all the food we eat has been selectively breed over thousands of years - that is a lot of tampering with nature.

Only other option is to go back to running about naked and eating grubs and fruit. I think i will risk the lab chicken nuggets, if all the cows disappear.

But somebody will put a banner on a bus saying "Lab Grown Chickens Will Save The NFU 300 million Lambs a Year" and everybody will want to save the cute lambs, and before we know it, the will of the people will mean we're all eating chickenshit.

Sponsored Links
Back